Just ordered the basic!

What can I expect with the glowforge basic??? And Go!!!

6 Likes

Woot! You’ll find this useful:

4 Likes

Welcome–to stave off potential agravations, search the forum topics for things you’re interested in making or materials you want to use. There are years of experience out there and unlimited imagination to what can be created! I do pretty basic stuff to support my leather business, so I really only admire what others do!

If you’re not familiar with Netscape or another design (svg/vector) program yet, jump on that learning curve. One way to help is buy a pattern or two and play with editing it…

And though the GF has a library with the designs you upload, I among many prefer to manage our files in own system…

Follow the set-up and suggested projects for start-up so you can get comfortable with how it works, play with proof grade materials to start, but don’t be afraid to wander… lots of info/advice already out in the forum so you can have fun, and if have an issue, get help!

And never leave your machine unattended while running!

And I’m not very tall, and got tired of reaching around and over to reach the on button–I got a plug with remote control, so my GF plugs into that, and I can comfortably turn it on & off. And make sure you keep the area on the right side clear or free of loose paper to prevent something getting sucked up against the air intake holes on the bottom right & thus lead to overheating errors.

6 Likes

You will find wonderful adventures that are limited only by your imagination.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community and you are off to a great start with the forums! There certainly is a lot of great knowledge in this place. What types of projects do YOU see yourself doing? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome, you’re going to have a lot of fun and hang around with some talented people here!

4 Likes

I really love strange art so I want to create custom pieces

3 Likes

I’m so excited!

3 Likes

Love it! I know there are lots of artists on the forums (I am not as much an artists :slight_smile: )

Cant wait to see what all you create! Do you have materials picked out?

When I got mine in I spent about a month taking advantage of the cleanness and use it for food prints. It was certainly fun.

1 Like

Not yet I literally ordered it a couple of hours ago but i am researching what material I can use

Welcome! Prepare to be amazed

4 Likes

I can’t wait!

1 Like

Welcome! I got my GF in February, first thing I did was download and start playing around with Inkscape. I’m the type that although I don’t mind tutorials and instructionals, I really just like clicking buttons and seeing what happens!

The Free Designs section of the forum has a LOT of files posted by creators in the community, get a few of those that seem interesting. I’ve had luck finding some good files on thingiverse.com, too. Download some of those and take a look at the cuts/engraves in the file, learn to ‘see’ what’s what. After a flat piece or two, I moved on to learning about finger joints and some of the box generating sites out there.

Most importantly, though…have fun. This is one of the biggest sandboxes I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing in, let your interests and your skills develop as they will, it may take time, don’t get frustrated with the process.

Welcome again!

5 Likes

I just can’t wait! They said 4 weeks for delivery I’m dying! Lol

I’ve had my basic coming on 4 years and I absolutely adore it. When you get your machine you’re going to be excited to jump in, but I absolutely unequivocally recommend the First Prints tutorial.

4 Likes

I will definitely take it slow! Thank you

1 Like

I knew nothing about lasers and little more about design software when I wandered in here, so I can tell you everything you need to know is here in the forum.

The journey has been one of the best adventures I have ever had, and I’ve never owned a tool that inspires creativity like this thing.

Think about the placement and venting you will need, and get to reading.
Welcome to the fun house, and enjoy your new adventure!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

And be sure to read up on materials you can’t use. That list is short but very important.

2 Likes

I have a basic and I love it. There have been times where I wished I ordered a Pro because of the passthrough, but at the time I wasn’t ready to take the plunge into something I had no experience with.

To be honest, I think having the basic has made me become more creative in file creation so that I can work with what I have, and the number of times I can think that I MIGHT have needed a Pro (just once), I was able to work around it by thinking through my problem a different way.

This is my one example. Someone I know wanted a sign for the entrance to their backyard garden. The dimensions they gave me needed to match perfectly. I’m not even sure I could’ve pulled it off with a Pro just because of how wide it arched. This is a 6.5-foot+ garden sign I made using the Basic.

8 Likes