Kerf explained..hopefully 😜

Here is how I imagined it would work: choosing a “scrap” side of a cut , or the inside/center/outside cut choice would be for everything, and that said choice would be manual (radio button in GUI)

The kerf width value would be automatically entered for proofgrade materials (known quantity) with an optional override (for those wanting to use “kerfwidth” to fudge an offset function or any other possible reason) and manually entered for other materials (requires testing a sample and measuring the kerf-width).

If not manually entered it might default to cutting center line on open shapes, outside the line on closed shapes, and inside the line on closed shapes within closed shapes.

I guess some people may have thought that the GF would be able to do something like make a test cut, photograph the cut with the macro lens, determine kerfwidth, and populate a temporary kerfwidth Value.
I dinnae think thas whas gon happ’n.
Could be wrong.
I’ve been wrong before.

8 Likes

Ok I didn’t think that but wow what a cool idea.

1 Like

They need you on staff.

1 Like

These last few months I have often found myself laser cutting two pieces to join them (to make boxes for example), and to do that I often use slots on both pieces like in the example above, or slots on one side and wholes on the other.
Kerf is obviously a big factor here so I’ve taken advantage of the parametric capabilites of Fusion 360 and created a file that allows me to generate the exact lines I need to cut, depending on the kerf and the material width.

Here’s what the result looks like :

I’ve tested it this weekend with MDF and the fit was pretty good, although I have yet to try it with materials that have a higher kerf value like plywood

Here’s the detail of the values it gave me for the 3mm thick MDF I was using :

I’ve made the design public and downloadable in case anyone’s interested : http://a360.co/2cRNUnw

12 Likes

I wish my brain would accept learning a new program…lol I’ve got 10 years in Corel Draw and it’s like pulling teeth to change my ways… :wink:

8 Likes

I read somewhere that as we get older, we tend to “calcify” in our ways.
An apt description of how I act now, I have become a creature of habit.

When our world is new and exciting, we can hardly wait to come of age. We are not only ready for change, we jump on it and ride it like a bicycle. My world is old and comfortable now, I have settled in my ways.

Last time I was tasked with learning a new program, it was Autocad Inventor. My first exposure to powerful parametric design. I was blown away by the ability of the software - and also the effort required to become proficient (a generous description of my ability) which is to a degree I think a reflection of my calcification. :disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

In other words “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” :wink:

7 Likes

Who you callin’ old ???!!! LMAO

8 Likes

I am also old… so it’s ok. :smiley:

8 Likes

Oh, you can, just not easy…:disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

Fact: - young dogs will figure out a trick faster.
Fact: - the next day, the older dog is more likely to remember it

7 Likes

To back up @wesleyjames, it’s harder teaching a new dog old tricks!!

3 Likes

I taught my dog “sit pretty” when he was 9. It helped that a friend’s dogs already knew it, so he was mostly just copying them. He still knows it. He is going on 14.

7 Likes

Yep. And pretty much any animal will learn anything within reason if you motivate them the right way.

In her book How to Make Animals Happy, Temple Grandin wrote about how she got super-skittish zoo animals like Thompson’s gazelles to walk into a box for blood draws, so I decided to try her method (a clicker plus the animal’s favorite treat) on our couch-scratching cat. He was 7 or so, and within a few weeks, a combination of freeze-dried chicken and the clicker had him scratching his scratching post on demand. Once he learned how to learn, he started picking up new tricks incredibly fast (he got “high five,” “low five” and “shake hands” all in about five minutes). He knows 20 tricks now.

So, ya know, motivation. :wink:

13 Likes

My wife taught our cats long ago to scratch (a post) on command and of course they come running whenever anyone says the word “treat” (and more annoyingly, “chicken” :confused:).

One of them developed diabetes a couple of years ago and I’m the designated injection tech. After months of hiding, chasing, and cussing, I finally taught her to respond to “table UP” by jumping onto a padded table/bench and waiting patiently for her greenies and injection. :sunglasses:

Btw, did you see TG speak at last year’s Mini Maker Faire in Longmont? I missed it, but heard she was great.

9 Likes

Perfect use of training! Glad to hear that your diabeticat really responds so well to it. I know Toby the Rescue Cat is going to be stubborn as heck when he gets old and sick. In the meantime, the faintest whiff of a rotisserie chicken has him all over me as well.

I didn’t see TG in Longmont–if I’d known she would be there I totally would have gone. She’s really a hero of mine.

4 Likes

We had a Poodle many moons ago, he was very fond of walking into a room and leaving the door open, we taught him how to close the door, on command he’d never do it voluntarily…

5 Likes

My papillion falls over when we shoot him with a finger gun…lol. He can also bark 1-3 times on command. Of course if you say bark 4 times he just looks at you funny.
Although best trick was my cocker-schnauzer who I would tell to get his tail…as he’s in full round and round chasing it I would say get the other one and he would stop dead in his tracks and go the other way…lol
My one cat answers back if you talk to him although the other two just look at you and probably think…I’m a cat…screw you…

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s their default setting.

13 Likes

ha, my dog does this too… but only if there are no other dogs around. I can’t tell if he’s embarrassed by it, or just doesn’t want to share.

8 Likes