Knife engrave

So I decided to give the steel engrave thing a try for one of the professors here looking to make a gift. I went with the paper towel, damp with water, method because it looked the best from what I’ve seen here. 1/4 way through, it was dry and no longer covering the knife. But it was still working, so I let it continue. This is the result:

Now, this was a highly magnetic and expensive knife. Results may vary.
Setting used: 150 zooms, full power (pro-45w). Knife knife was fixtured to hold blade flat and level. Distance from tray .434

40 Likes

That came out really Crisp. Best I’ve seen on here yet.

4 Likes

Very Nice! So… we don’t need vinegar, not even water huh?

3 Likes

Nice marking of the knife.
With the 304 stainless that I have tested, the presence or absence of wet paper towel had no effect.
However, wetting the towel with epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) did result in darker engraving. This is similar to an effect that others have seen using a slurry of Plaster of Paris (Calcium Sulfate). The sulfate enhances the marking on some stainless alloys. A gel containing epsom salt would probably work better as there would be better contact. I have not got around to trying this yet.
Good knives are not made from 304 alloy as it does not hold an edge very well.

6 Likes

Wow … very sharp!

5 Likes

Exceptionally crisp!

1 Like

it’s not superficial either, it’s really burned in and not going anywhere!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised how tough that oxide deposit is.

2 Likes

Awesome: can you please talk more about the paper towel, just how it is used.

1 Like

Read this one: Etch Steel with... apparently you only need a wet paper towel. No mustard or vinegar. lol

2 Likes

Engraved a Kbar today, check it out, power = full, speed = 500, lpi = 675:

10 Likes

did you use wet paper towel and epsom salt?

No, the knife is already coated with powder coating

thank you!

Is there something specific you use to clean up any of the gummy stuff that is left over?