Kumiko Dreams Box

This is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! Y’all are really good for my ego. :wink:

2 Likes

I know just who I can make happy with this!

2 Likes

Be sure and post photos!

1 Like

This is such a beautiful and intricate design! Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Very pretty. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

So awesome! I tried it today. The first lid didn’t cut all the way through. So, I engraved the second try. Then I broke the hinge. So, I improvised! Thanks again!

14 Likes

It looks lovely!

2 Likes

I saw this on the GUG challenge. Great work.

1 Like

So do you design the cut outs or do you find them somewhere. I really want to make boxes like this but have no idea how to make the cutout designs.

1 Like

How did I miss this one? Awesomeness!

The shapes I used are from traditional Kumiko designs, but I drew them from scratch in Affinity designer. I make one triangle and then repeat it to get the pattern I want. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is great…I need to keep up with the forums more often. Not only is it beautiful, but just in time for mother’s day. You saved me. Thanks! I’ll just put the masks I sewed her in it and it’ll be a complete gift set :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Ok, made one for my mother. Thanks again for the beautiful work. I’ve been racking my brain since February over what to do for mother’s day. You solved my dilemma :sweat_smile:

23 Likes

I love what you did on the inside!

Thanks, I was having a issue with the hinge causing the lid to separate when I open it. So I decided to try gluing everything from the inside, after I had already snapped all the pieces together…it was an awful mess. Rather than clean it up, I cut a piece of chiyogami paper to size and slipped that in there. The excess glue holds it down nicely. I love the cut-out top, but now I’m wondering what it would look like filled with colorful resin…I’m definitely not going to try that though…I have a hard enough time with glue…

3 Likes

Finally got to this one on my long list of things to do… I love it! It is such a nice showcase of what the GF can do!
Thanks again for sharing your design.

IMG_3095

14 Likes

This was such a great project to work on. I was initially going to do acrylic and then I thought I better try draft board first to see how this cuts. I think it might be too detailed for acrylic but is beautiful in wood. Lots of little pieces to poke out on the top side.

8 Likes

Ha… I see you have lots more little pieces to poke through on the top! :wink:

2 Likes

Poking out all the little pieces is kind of zen-like for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes