Laser cut 100% wool

I am amazed that there is no discoloration on the edges of the cuts. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Love the font!

2 Likes

@smcgathyfay Love the cuts you did. Thanks for sharing the results of he wool and polyester felt cuts.

I have a few quiet books that I was wanting to cut things out for. Seriously awesome to see that this cuts so well! :grin:

3 Likes

I’m am thrilled with them thank you so much.
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell thou . It does smell like burnt hair.
There is some browning on the edge of some of them but not bad at all.
They are still soft and pliable.
Can’t wait to receive my cutter.
toryswoolyrainbows.com

8 Likes

I wonder if rinsing them in warm water and vinegar, and then letting them air dry in the sun might help? I have no experience with wool (or lasers) but I deal in vintage and antique beads, and sometimes my wonderful old finds smell… well, old and musty. Between vintage collectibles and just regular household cleaning, I’ve found regular old white vinegar to be a miracle worker :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Good tip! Bookmarked!

1 Like

I should add that it’s always worth doing a test on a small area. I doubt there’d be any ill effects with wool, but with glass I have seen the vinegar damage foil backings or fancy finishes (AB/aurora borealis for example). Diluting with more water is usually a sufficient remedy to that problem.

1 Like

With wood, you can spray it with a light coat of sealer but obviously not with wool…lol. Maybe baking soda might absorb some of it…or Fabreez :wink:

Some suggest spraying it lightly with vinegar and water but I would let it sit for a few days and see if it dissipates.

4 Likes

There is a little but not bad.

So I received my Glowforge :slight_smile: . Still playing with the setting for the wool, I have not got it down yet, the edges are still to burnt for my liking and is not cutting all the way through. Any suggestion on settings for the wool? yours looks really nice .

1 Like

I’ve only cut synthetic felt, but from what I have read here low, low and lower power offer the best results. Are you not cutting through with 1, 2 or 3 passes? Less power, and more passes oftentimes reduces charring. Also, the paper crafters seem to like to use engrave settings for cutting. While slower, it avoids charring at the corners.

4 Likes

Side note: you want low power, but you also want high speed. In my experience dwell time is your enemy.

2 Likes

thanks I will try.

I used hand lotion to help with some of my soft-goods Glowforge projects. Rub into the item.

hand lotion

Help how? You lotion and then cut?

I apologize. I previously used hand lotion rubbed into a leather glowforge project- wristband- after the band was engraved-to reduce the smell. I thought it would work for wool also. I am testing Febreeze at this moment with a wool project. After I burned it, I sprayed it with the Febreeze. After it dries, I will check the smell.

1 Like