Laser cut dividers

Are there stl files for this? or other 3d printer type files?

you can export directly from the site to STL. Right click on the tab at the bottom:

cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I done bought myself a laser cutter (the details of which would only distract from this thread) and, of course, the first thing I cut was a set of these dividers (which I’ve decided to call “Trident Calipers” on @marmak3261, (and others’) observations about how they look). Without getting into detail, these were my third attempt to cut something, and I’d say they came out pretty good, but there’s still room for improvement. Seems that having a working machine from the get-go is quite beneficial!

I recorded a quick video of them in action. They basically work for anything larger than about an inch, but under an inch gets sloppy. Rejiggering the slot so it isn’t at a perpendicular angle when the calipers are closed would be good, but I haven’t been able to figure out a mathematical curve that fits the bill (I sorta doubt one exists).

Here’s the vid. Note, there’s no meaningful audio, so mute it if you don’t wanna listen to me breathing. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Such a beautiful object. Where does the flex come from? Material? Are slots tight? Thanks for posting and all the work on this.

4 Likes

The slots on this one are pretty tight, so I’m thinking the flex just comes from the plastic bending. This is ~3mm thick (I haven’t actually measured it). Maybe I should make one more, but make it extra wide, just to see if more plastic means it’ll be better. I also got some neon acrylic, which should look cool. Yeah, I think I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My brain hurts after reading this…but I think I learned something…thank you. :thumbsup:

7 Likes