Laser engrave everything

I’ve been meaning to try engraving on Velveteen and Ultra Suede it haven’t gotten to them, so if you include those on your list that would be great. I just got some cork fabric from FunHouse which I’m excited to try.

1 Like

This is really cool. I am hardly ever on the forum but spend lots of time on GUG in FB. I’m doing somewhat of the same thing. I have materials stashed all over that I’ve collected and will be trying over the next few weeks as part of the Makers Challenge I gave myself. I’m recording videos and posting them up on my youtube channel and in GUG and GUGS.

That’s what led me to the forum. I have yet to be successful in finding settings for 1/8" red cedar and that’s what today’s item is. I’m definitely excited to see what you come up with!

Thanks! I just bought some velveteen ad ultra suede today to try out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve never been on GUG or GUGS on FB. I found it and joined this morning - thank you! I also have some red cedar - I’ll put it on the list to see if I have any luck with it. Looking forward to seeing your Glowforge videos - what’s your channel name?

Thanks! I just ordered a bunch of Cork Fabric today. I’m excited to give it a try.

I bought a pack of those cedar planks they sell for cooking and it is light in weight and not all that strong but dark wood and looks pretty good. And of course I do not see that you have Tile on the list, both the cheap 4x4 tiles and the big 18x18 inch tiles that can become table tops.

For all those different materials you will need a way to figure out the settings and this might help…

Feel free to use (I made it for you… :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! That’s great!

1 Like

That’s certainly t-shirt worthy! I’d be proud to wear that :rofl:

1 Like

Pauseibilities on Youtube.
:blush: I’m still new to the video thing. My husband just set me up with a new recording system just now so I’m getting ready to record the next video. The red cedar nametag I did last night came out well. It was really early in the morning and I couldn’t
stay up any longer but I need to go add the material to the online Excel sheet so others can have better luck in their searches.

1 Like

Corriboard can be interesting - it’s the plastic cardboard they use for political signs (and other things, but that’s where I always see it). You have to find a balance between cutting through the pockets and the spines, but once you do it makes a really solid incredibly lightweight object.

Also in leather be sure to point out that you don’t want to use chrome tanned leather in your laser. Veg tanned is great stuff, and comes in all the bright colours too - but chrome tanned is everywhere and can eat your lungs :frowning:

1 Like

Quick update… I’ve engraved 20 out of 60 materials so far. It’s taking a little longer than expected… but the video will be out before the end of the month.

14 Likes

Very professional!

I’m new to this and my unit hasn’t arrived yet so I’m really just starting to explore. But do you happen to know if you can engrave/etch curved things like a insulated coffee cup.

Several are impossible to read the black on black and white on white is not much better. I have found the liquid paper to be strong enough to use on black anyway.

Maybe… more higher-end laser cutters have rotary indexer attachments designed specifically for this. They rotate the cup as it engraved. The attachments cost a little less than $1000. The Glowforge isn’t equipped with a rotary indexer, however, you might be able to do an engraving on a coffee cup with a Glowforge if the engraving is small.

Thank you

Yeah, it’s not a great photo… here are a few close-ups.

3 Likes

You can take off the insulated part make it flat and then engrave that :upside_down_face:
Otherwise, that is not what a Glowforge is for, I had many such Ideas before my Glowforge arrived and had to figure out which ones would not work in this universe.

in person they work great but for images and especially video sharpie and liquid paper should do a better job.