Laser Engrave Over 50 Different Materials

This is great! Thank you for sharing. Some of these materials are amazing, do you have sources for them.? I’m brand now to laser this but so excited for my GF and watching your video really makes the possibilities endless.

2 Likes

Great video, thank you for sharing all this information.

1 Like

Great post. Extremely helpful to reduce wasted time & effort, trying to figure out non-proofgrade material settings. I wish I had discovered this a couple of weeks ago, before wasting countless Lutron Screwless Faceplates, trying to engrave multi-gang switch-banks with what each switch/dimmer actually controls.

Regarding the Cermark spray for metals; have you tried or heard about the comparative quality of Brilliance Laser Ink? When I searched Amazon for Cermark, the Brilliance product also came up and is half the price for the same size spray can.

1 Like

Great movie!! Thanx for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks! I can add my sources to the spreadsheet this weekend.

1 Like

To be honest, I’ve only used Cermark because it works so well and one can lasts a really long time. I’ve heard about folks using Dry Moly Lube with good results - I bought a can but haven’t tried it yet.

Are you referring to Molly Mist Dry Film Lube? I have several cans of that on hand, for use on metal fittings. If so, I can easily run some sample tests.

Most people use CRC Dry Moly Lube from the autoparts store or Amazon for about $10 or $11. It’s not as dark a marking as Cermark when lasered but where absolute black isn’t needed it’s an inexpensive alternative.

1 Like

Hi @LJoliver - I added the material sources that I used in my video to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NAokOhtmSgbHMK4tKR9iXOBC7eTOmXQgVgS49QMq0SI/edit?usp=sharing

However, I’m wondering if there’s a resource online that includes links to the best sources to buy materials - I sort of just ordered materials for the video as I needed them without a lot of vetting.

1 Like

this is so great! thank you

1 Like

@LJoliver Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it. I’m working on more videos now :slight_smile:

Thanks! Do you have a similar spreadsheet for the GF Pro?

Wanted to tell you that my hubby used sendcutsend to get a build plate for his 3D printer! lol
He needed a large aluminum one and it worked out really well, has solved some problems he had been having. Thanks again for sharing!

Unfortunately, I don’t have a similar spreadsheet for the GF Pro. However, if I had to guess, you may just need to lower the power settings slightly as your laser tube is a bit more powerful than mine. Or, you can use the same power settings and increase the speed slightly.

1 Like

That’s so cool! I really love SendCutSend as well. I’m starting to think that metal is the new acrylic. I’m thinking of possibly using them to make a puzzle (marked with Cermark or UV printed) that is made out of stainless steel. ha! That might be fun.

1 Like

oh wow! That would be awesome!

Are you thinking you’d order the cut through sendcutsend and then mark it yourself with GF? Or would you have them do the whole thing?

Yes, right now I’m thinking of getting them cut via sendcutsend and then marking it with the Glowforge. They have a fiber laser so I believe that they could technically engrave it, too. I might also experiment with using a UV printer - there’s a guy down the street from me who owns a print shop. Who knows, maybe there are already folks who make metal puzzle. ha! To be honest, I haven’t even really looked yet other than a super quick Google search.

1 Like

I think if you offered photo engraved metal puzzles, that would be amazing! I bet those would sell really well. :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see what you do.

2 Likes

You save everyone’s time… thanks a lot!!!

Thanks for sharing, I’ll be referring to this quite a bit going forward, thanks!