Laser Engrave Over 50 Different Materials

This is going to be so helpful, thank you!

i send this video to everyone who is thinking about buying a glowforge.

but you need to add more materials, like eggshells
mirrors, rice…

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you!! I appreciate it! I know, I’ve worked with so many new materials since filming that video (but not eggshell. Ha!) I’m almost due for a part 2 :slight_smile: Although, I’m excited to start work on a new video about this week focused on making laserable plywood with 1/16” mdf and every species of wood veneer. I might sneak a few new materials into that video if I can.

Ooh! Please do!

2 Likes

Wow, a year and a half later and this video still going strong. Thank you for the amazing reference video. This will save me so much time in getting started with my GF!! Thank you JK !

2 Likes

Thank you!! I appreciate it! I never thought that the materials video would have gotten such a positive response. I had a lot of fun making it. Thanks for watching!

I have a couple of YouTube videos planned this over the few months. I’m working on one now on how to make really fancy laserable plywood using mdf, a vacuum bag and lots of veneer samples, Japanese paper, fabric, etc. I’m also working on a Glowforge for Beginners course: https://glowforgeforbeginners.com that will cover a range of topics.

2 Likes

Thanks… definitely something to print out and have handy in the shop…

Welcome! (and you are welcome to my bacon - but I get the scent!)

So how do you find the settings that you make and save, that shows on the left side of the screen when you doing a project, you scroll down and only a few are there, it only go down so far and there is no scroll bar to find the one you know you saved, you have to change a saved one for something else.

Every saved setting is there. They are stored under separate lists for cut, score, and two for engrave - one for vector, one for raster.

I have about 50 or so.

Just cuts:

(the list goes on, just what fits on my screen)

1 Like

That’s fantastic! I only save my commonly used settings - your list is something to aspire to!

I don’t use these often, but if I’ve invested time figuring out settings, why not save them? It costs nothing and they’re there if needed in the future.

Foamboard is a good example. It’s been years since I did a passthru print with some, but I needed to print something recently for my daughter, had a suitable scrap, and after a small test using my saved setting, was able to just make the print.

It’s a shame we don’t have a way to submit these to a “community library” - yes, there’s a spreadsheet but it would be nice to have it built-in.

2 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Very useful! Thanks for sharing. :+1:

1 Like

Kryptonite…

Thanks for sharing. Featured your video in the Laser.gg Free File Friday Newsletter.

1 Like

How is your list so long i can maybe get 7 or 8 on my list?

There is no limit. I just tested and added another. Just click the “+” to “Save As”.

I still dont see how i can see my list.