Lasering Sand?

Bottom.

13 Likes

So do the wires and cooling lines just go from one side to the other in that grey slot area and the rest is clear?

That I am not sure about. Nor am I able to truly check for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Presumably the little cover held with two screws is the where the connector for the filter unit docks.

I wonder if we want to switch from filter to duct that the GF will have to be separated from the filter to stop the filter running.

Possibly not. The filter does have its own power switch and draws electricity right from the Glowforge, if I recall correctly. There may be alternatives for switching between filter and venting outside that may not required actually physically removing the Glowforge from the filter.

It does have its own power switch, but it also has its own wall plug. It does not draw power from your Glowforge.

3 Likes

So number 7 superpower gone then!

So is the GF happy if you just switch the filer off and connect a hose then?

Well as the filter is mentioned in item 7, i.e. under the heading “Just one plug” I think it is not unreasonable to think only one plug was required. But not a big issue as it can be fixed with an adapter. The desk I intend putting it on has six switched outlets and is only just big enough to have the GF standing on it and nothing else. So I will have four sockets spare.

What I was asking @dan was can we switch from filter to outside hose mode by just switching off the filter and removing the U bend and connecting the hose? I.e. is the GF happy to have the filter electrically connected but not active?

1 Like

It is somewhat strange that it uses a separate cord. I mean why not just have a single power cord with either a double head or a jumper cord (my mac SE way back in the day had a jumper cord to power it’s external rodime HD (that monster 30mb drive!). One end of the jumper was the regular IEC cord and the other was a strange double ended IEC connector male-female so you plugged it onto the end of the cord. A splitter connecter cable is a standard thing in data centers (I bet GF’s cloud uses a whole slew of them in fact)

Here is one rated for 15A

https://www.pduwhips.com/products/1193-5-15p-to-c13-y-splitter-power-cables.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw7J3KBRCxv93Q3KSukXQSJADzFzVSZPDgNexRGQ1nytt1rInvF64Za-jwCuayXR3eilT6rxoCBsPw_wcB

5 Likes

Yes especially as they boast “Just one plug” as a super power. If they hadn’t I don’t think I would have found it strange.

The good news is we can solve it for $10 at amazon…

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

The Glowforge does communicate directly with the filter.

3 Likes

Unfortunately we can’t support non-Proofgrade materials, so I can’t say.

1 Like

Yes.

7 Likes

It’s not uncommon in our experience for people to want to plug the Glowforge and the air filter into separate circuits. They can both be on the same circuit, but there shouldn’t be much else on that circuit.

3 Likes

Wondering aloud whether this is in-house testing or the super secret beta-filter testers. Given the size of the Purex filter at BAMF, when the Glowforge filter debuts and works perfectly, this is going to be a game changer. Hope it all works out as planned!

2 Likes

Ya know, with all the discussion today about the one connection Glowforge verbage I’m really happy to see a little engineering common sense.

1 Like

One of the big positives of having separate power cords for the Forge and the filter is that it will be easier to use a battery backup, if desired. It would take an enormous and expensive UPS to protect both through one power cord.

3 Likes

I expect the forge would error if you switched off the filer while it was running.