Lasers and letterpress

Wow! And that looks exactly like the guillotine cutter I used to use. Loved that thing.

1 Like

Nice restoration! Smooth and quiet.
Iā€™ll bet you made louder noises moving it! At least you had gravity on your side, more controlling that effect than lifting!

1 Like

They are showing that product at .063 inchesā€¦which is 1.6mm. The kf152 from boxcarā€¦is 1.52 mm ā€¦ at .1mm off it looks like a very nice starting point. Iā€™m doing the same thing, though I was going to start out with mdf or Lino and build up. Think Iā€™ll purchase some of this sand give it a whirl

I purchased this product and have been doing some experiments today. I made some ā€œplatesā€ in the acetal and some proof grade mapleā€¦I have also ordered some exposed polymer but itā€™s currently lost in fedex-land ugh.

I engraved the acetal with S:200 P:40 LPI: 270 and F:.06 - the result was really promisingā€¦thinking I could make a deeper impression with a stronger relief I made another with the power up to 45ā€¦also a great resultā€¦upping the power further just resulted in too much melt on the base. Both of the successful cuts warped a bit. Then I did another with the proof grade maple.

The acetal was fixed to the boxcar base with carpet tape to account for the warpā€¦both cuts gave very nice resultsā€¦the lower power setting was better in fact and warped less. The carpet tape is really too strong but I fixed that by sticking to my hand a bunch of times making it sticky enough to grip but not too hard to get off again.

The proof grade maple was a great cut but I would reduce the power considerablyā€¦the depth was really not necessary for letterpress and the scorched wood was tough to get clean. The cut was good but the pre-finished product didnā€™t grab the ink (rubber-based) as well as the acetal - unfinished wood would be better of course. The proof grade maple ply + 3/4 ā€œ Medford = 4 layers of painters tap ended up tho-high

13 Likes

And another test - this was also done with acetal - which really picks up the ink well -ā€¦this example was one where the settings were
S:200 P:45 LPI:270 F:.06. - what this is meant to show is that with the higher temperature it also impacted the graphic with the vapourized material - kerf-like. The initials were bolder on screen. I am going to try with a power less than 40 - this may result in less warping - the relief is plenty and the plate may be closer to the original on-screen graphic.

Also result is showing different papers

10 Likes

This done with proof grade settings was a wonderful result - better after a light sand on 600 sandpaper - took a nail file to the outside of the square as well - the woodā€™s grain when burned can impact the graphic.

Once again - proofgrade maple ply + 3/4ā€mdf + 4 layers painter tape = type high

9 Likes

Looks like some great results, especially your architectural accent. :grinning:

Lastly - the image shows two pieces of my Garamond font - itā€™s 18pt Garamond light - and the graphic with the font very close to that size. Result was gorgeous but unfortunately the ā€œyā€ collapsed in the press and the bottom points on the monogram donā€™t quite meet because it basically got burned away . Using prrofgrade settings is over like for this application. Iā€love try it again with settings for a less deep engraveā€¦ at least before I resort to grayscale shoulders

Too bad - it was looking so promising.

11 Likes

Very cool experiments! I fiddled around with some letterpress-like printing in December for my Christmas cards, using Draftboard, and found that I lost bits by the time I had printed about 50 of them.

2 Likes

I previously used my 3D printer to make blocksā€¦Iā€™m going to do the capital g in a diamond one and compare the result - so far Iā€™m thinking the laser is giving much crisper resultsā€¦ certainly Iā€™m getting very nice detail - finer than Iā€™ve been able to get with the 3D printer.

1 Like

Looks good! I think a little green gremlin photo-bombed that last pic thoughā€¦:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes