Latest: Price has increased, Shipping, Maker Faire recap

A great deal has happened in the field of optical transparency. It is now known that it is a surface phenomenon and that certain precise coatings can make nearly all metals transparent. The free electrons on the surface, with their jumbled motions, interact with light and interfere with light passing through it. Tie down the electrons with a regular array of atoms with an affinity for electrons, say oxygen, and the material becomes transparent. Ten years ago, or so, I found a technical report of one such specialty coating. If memory serves, it was made by applying alternating layers of silver (4 nm) and alumina (12 nm). At 7 combo layers it was 83% transparent, at 19 combo layers, it was 97% transparent. I was intrigued about the possibility of making the material so that it could be turned off and on with the flick of a switch.

8 Likes

have you heard of transparent wood? Not a perfect solution, but intriguing.

6 Likes

I wonder how close we are to that actual “cloak of invisibility”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hadn’t seen that either. Awesome cool! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect we are there, or nearly there, in military circles.

3 Likes

That’s a new link to what was in this post.

3 Likes

I work for a company that builds transparent armor (and a thousand other things) for the military. I wonder if they have seen that demonstration on transparent AON ceramic? Very expensive, but probably somewhat laserable like ceramic tile?

Transparent wood…another as of now, unobtanium. Research in cellulose based, ultra strong and light materials has been going on for a long time. This material was sort of inevitable after a while. - Rich

5 Likes

I need to go back to the stuff that you guys discussed before i got forum active…you’ve got a lot of great leads.

1 Like

What kind of material is the transparent armor made out of?

My first transparent aluminum link was aluminum oxynitride, but magnesium aluminate is also transparent.

3 Likes

Actually, I am not sure. They call it ballistic glass, and it is 3-4 inches thick depending on the application. There is a thick piece of plastic laminated like a sandwich between the glass panes. - Rich

3 Likes

I think aluminum oxynitride is further along and stronger for this application.

3 Likes

Even being late to the party, you and I are in the same place…

We are scheduled to ship all units ordered after the campaign by March 2017.

2 Likes

Haha! I think I trust Dan a little more than our postal/delivery agencies. LOL

2 Likes

Fun fact: That actor was in(apparently) several episodes of TNG(though I only know of one-1st season I think). He looks odd with an 80s stash.

2 Likes

Dec units are being shipped by order number, correct? I understand the time it takes to make a good project, but as someone who ordered in Sept of last year, I look at like…any other investment I might have made, and just keep thinking “this thing better be awesome.” If I’d bought the equivalent of my glow forge cost in bitcoin, I’d have over $7000 now.

:slight_smile:

Still. Very excited to finally get my hands on one in…a month?

4 Likes

Most likely. :wink: :relaxed:

2 Likes

This was discussed early on, by me in this post;

Gotcha. I just realized, much like the other person on the thread, that I don’t have an invoice number, but just the confirmation email and order listed when I log into the GF website. Should I have a number somewhere? My email order receipt is from Sept 24.

1 Like

Welcome @griffey to the forum. Have you been reading any of the posts in the past year? There is an amazing amount of info to digest. It looks pretty good at this moment that orders from the first month of crowdfunding will be shipped by the end of December.

2 Likes