Leather Questions

‘Thinner’ can be so subjective, especially with something organic like leather. Modern suppliers correlate the traditional oz measurement to standardized dimensions. This might be a little easier to visualize, especially with calipers in hand.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing that! :grinning:

1 Like

I got some Tandy leather for beanie patches recently and I believe it was same weight as yours. By the time I cleaned, oiled and pulled the patch over the edge of a table to work the oil in, it was feeling much thinner and no longer suitable for my patch, I had to go get a 9 oz knowing it will thin out.

Have you fully worked a test from start to end before determine it won’t work? If you are doubling up to only have nice sides out,. you can shave down on the suede side to thin at folds as well.

1 Like

Hello, this thread is 4 years old. I do not think the original poster will respond. His last post was over a year ago.

I have resorted to using 4/5 oz for other kinds of projects. Coaster, luggage tags, that kind of stuff. My process is the cut/engrave the uncoiled leather then dye/condition it with an all in one dye and wax. And thats it. It holds of remarkably well. For projects that I need more flexibility I use the glowforge proof grade leather. I’ve made a few wallets out of the thin size and it works really well.

1 Like

I’m still here… lurking

1 Like

Read your profile. In the late 80s, I was studying landscape architecture. Worked as a landscaper —I believe it was 16 years.

1 Like