Lessons have been learned

I had a request for an anatomical heart charcuterie board from a friend. I cut out a router template first and had the idea that I would just put the finished board back in the “heart shaped hole” so that the score would line up perfect.

Great in theory before I found out the board was too tall with the crumb tray in… I removed the tray and used only the outline on an extra sheet of material for alignment. After about 20 sends I felt like I nailed it. I placed the finished board in and… it was not lined up right. It’s still close enough that it doesn’t look too bad but kills me inside that it isn’t perfect. Now I just need to make a second board of some kind to prove I learned from my mistakes!

36 Likes

It still really looks cool!

3 Likes

Jigs, man. The only way to be sure.

9 Likes

Maybe you could run it through the surface planer and try again?

6 Likes

in cases like that, you can place masking tape over the piece, run the engrave at 2 or 3 power (just enough to mark the tape), and then adjust the design until it is where you need it to be. Remove the tape (or not), and run it at the desired power level.

15 Likes

It still looks fabulous!! Can’t wait to see the next one. :heart:

4 Likes

That is a great range of woods which are they?

This ^^^ also use Set Focus before placing the design where you want it. If the first test is off, measure the distance, and then use the precision placement to move that exact amount.

5 Likes

There’s walnut, mahogany, red oak, pine, Hickory, and anything else from the scrap pile! I love using my cut offs for serving trays!

2 Likes

The end woods are mahogany… not only did the engrave go super deep I’d worry that pieces would break off. It’ll be fine this time.

1 Like

Also-

1 Like

Great advice. I needed that

1 Like

That’s incredible. I know many that would love it.

2 Likes