Let's talk about Glowforge®: logo and brand guidelines

Toyota spent millions rebranding with the T in a circle logo… and then some beautiful retro-inspired designer threw it out and slapped the word TOYOTA across the front of the FJ cruiser. One of my favorite aspects of that vehicle.

8 Likes

Great bit of info! Thanks for sharing it! I definitely prefer the 45º rotation. And… I’m shocked nobody thought/said light bulb! To me it was the first thing I thought of when I first saw it! And I thought “Eh… Clever enough. The company has “glow” in the name and they’re using a light bulb. Cute, and it also is a common representation of 'ideas (specifically good, or ‘brilliant’).”

6 Likes

Personally, I like the logos. Unique and easy to identify! Keep being awesome!

4 Likes

To me it looks like an ear… but I’m not a highly-paid branding designer, so what do I know? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, @Tony – Just to be clear, I wasn’t disparaging it in any way. If anyone took it that way, I apologize. :wink:

2 Likes

No offense even remotely taken! I have learned my internet lesson long ago-- I always assume everyone is being nice/constructive unless they are using all caps or cursing a lot. Assuming tone from words in the internet is fraught with peril. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

caps lock key: the accidental yelling button.

15 Likes

Is that “the hopper” that @dan puts all our ideas in?

3 Likes

I’ve only got the one

5 Likes

Ok great! Thanks for the handy reference guide

But from what I understand - it’s expandable !

2 Likes

It’s bigger on the inside.

7 Likes

Is it also blue? Seems like it should be blue

6 Likes

Blue on blue.

4 Likes

My Glowforge Music Festival was going to be totally safe with the laser light show. BIG screens, camera in bed, and epic cuts.

2 Likes

@dan Another question for the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyer (who might be less friendly inclined towards me by the time everything is done), I am curious about the Glowforge logo/name guidelines for commercial works for sale. Think along the lines of a finished product that is my design, or legally licensed work, for sale. It crossed my mind to possibly include something along the lines of “Made using Glowforge®” or “Made on my Glowforge®” on some of the products. Depending on where I look in the guidelines, it seems like that might be ok or forbidden. I appreciate that Glowforge only allows placing the name/logo in designs that are being shared/given freely. I’m curious about giving a plug to the Glowforge company and product with some of the finished products I produce for sale.

1 Like

It might be nice if GF made a premade logo for that, in the way the Apple (the kind go FNL) does. When you for instance make a card in Photos, you can check a box to include that in small type on the back. @Dan, that would be a nice marketing thing for the hopper if possible. I wouldn’t put in everything, but certain items might be nice to give credit (read: marketing) as it being made on a GF.

6 Likes

Oh, I would love if there was a logo for ‘Made on’ and ‘Customized with’.

1 Like

@GF perhaps ?

@bailey, not to necrothread here, but in making a sign for my MFNY booth I noted that there is no ™ symbol in the Proofgrade logo I downloaded from the site titled (Proofgrade full logo black & white (light background).ai):

pg logo

5 Likes