Letters and A Name

I recently cutout the letters for my granddaughter’s name as a gift using Draftboard. I used 6 layers to create a 3D effect then glued them together with a fine tipped bottle of Super Glue. Came out great except you may notice that the letter “I” appears a little fat. I forgot to check the Proportional Box in Inkscape when scaling it to a 5 inch height.

Originally, I was going to paint them but decided that the paint would cover up the light and dark lines that gave the letters an enhanced 3D depth, so left them plain.

The letters were purchased from Sebas at: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WioFile.

He was very responsive to all my questions and processed the files into additional vector formats so they were easier to import into Inkscape.

I will be making a lot more letters, names and words. It only took a half hour to cut our the six layers for 5 letters using 3 sheets of Draftboard.

A nice gift and easy to make on a GF!

Photos attached.

66 Likes

Ooh, very cool. I adore the sunburst in the E especially!
Nice job on the gluing…my hand is not that steady :stuck_out_tongue:

A use for all the mandala-making techniques folks have been throwing up on here!
Did you see the one made with coloured cardstock? That would make a neat name plate.

3 Likes

Thankyou!!! I did see that post!!! It was amazing!!! I also thought about doing the top layer in acrylic, a different color for each letter as another option. But I was pressed for time, plus Draftboard is less expensive!!!

6 Likes

I wish I were that creative. It looks wonderful. :clap:

4 Likes

What a cool idea. That looks fantastic. :smiley:

3 Likes

those are great. my poor niece, i only gave her an “E”, not her whole name.

8 Likes

Me too!!! I have a family full of artists; my Grandmother, my Mom, my Daughters.

I got completely skipped with the artistic talent gene! What is worst, is that I can conceive beautiful things in my mind, but they come out as “stick figures” when I draw them.

Lol, The Creator played a really mean trick on me!!!

8 Likes

My Granddaughter’s given name is Sedalia, but I short changed her and used her nickname! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i love these, considering buying those letter designs for my own use as well.

3 Likes

He has numbers also, which I purchased and plan to use to redo our house numbers! Maybe do it in acrylic with an LED backlight!

3 Likes

that’s super trippy. Well done

2 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

Super cool! Love this

2 Likes

These are cool. Maybe my daughter can make her own now that she’s home!

2 Likes

I so hear you. Same here.

1 Like

She will enjoy these for years! Very nice project.

2 Likes

After the CO town? I grew up in the Missouri town.

Ask her if she has every seen this. Cued up to the right part.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The name sign @timtsuga is great!

1 Like

oh yeah, that “E” is amazing

1 Like

My daughter and her husband loved the name Sedalia and had spent time in Missouri so that is probably where it came from! I will tell her about the movie. My daughter was born in 1983 so probably has not seen or even heard of the movie! My granddaughter is only 2, so has not seen the movie!!!

Tsuga is the Latin genus name for Western hemlock, the state tree of Washington. Since I live in Washington and am a forester, I have adopted the name timtsuga

1 Like

Not sure how old your granddaughter is but I know that my daughter would love to paint those letters. So that would be a neat idea instead of using acrylic to color it, let her do it and I bet she will love it even more. :slight_smile:

1 Like