Light Pads are handy

For somebody who doesn’t have Adobe CC but still wants to use their iPad, here’s another possibility, using two apps: Scanner Pro and imaengine. I took a scan of the colored die cut with Scanner Pro (highly recommended, I use it all the time as a copy machine and send print to wireless printer) and made sure to save as JPG in Black & White (pdf is another option). Opened it in imaengine and chose the Ink Drawing vectorizing option. After that you can save as JPG or PNG to Camera Roll, or SVG or PDF to Dropbox or Illustrator.

So, I uploaded the image as an SVG to Dropbox and pulled it down to Illustrator to see if it’s really a traced image. Here’s what it looks like selected in Illustrator:

Certainly looks promising!

22 Likes

Yes! That’s wonderful and a really clean SVG to boot. I will be sure to check it out to recommend it for Inkscape users i know. If someone does download it let me know if you have to have CC… For some reason I don’t remember it making me sign in but I could be wrong. It’s the most realistic drawing app I’ve ever used… Would love any great free recommendations on your favorite drawing apps and software that’s free or close to free as well, guys!

6 Likes

Yes, I was surprised by the quality of the tracing. Of course if you were hand tracing (or even autotracing in Illustrator) you wouldn’t put that many nodes in, but it’s a start. Would love to have a Glowforge to run it through.

3 Likes

Adobe Draw is good, but for vectorizing images you might also consider Adobe Capture CC (still free!).

5 Likes

I had asked for a specific Tutorials section a few months back. They are still looking into how they want to set it up. As soon as they do, we’ll start loading the information. (It’s doubling up the work to upload them now and have to move them again. And Glowforge is probably preparing a few of their own.)

Discourse is a chat forum - unfortunately it’s not set up optimally for training and tutorials. (There are some limitations to it that make it bulky.)

3 Likes

The third post down in this thread has some links to a bunch of threads on free software. There may be some in that original thread as well. The fourth post has a great spreadsheet with tons of good stuff in it.

3 Likes

You do not need CC to run the adobe apps on your device, but functionality is limited; I never found a way to export vector data from Capture without going through Illustrator. You can export a jpg of the vector and run an auto trace on that, but that’s an extra step.

1 Like

LOL Wut?

2 Likes

the clear advantage of mains power vs batteries, of course. gotta hustle where you may…

Look closer…

So you plug it into a 12V source and it outputs a fluctuating 110V - 220V?

Or does the pad create power so you can supply your house with 110?

:joy:

Please feel free to add things to this post:

It isn’t a category; but if someone searches for “tips” it should come up.

1 Like

ahaha clearly i glanced over that part without paying much attention, it’s probably a funny translation artifact

Yeah, I’d go with translation error. Huion is a Chinese company. I have a drawing tablet from them and saw a few other quirky translations in its manual.

1 Like

Great suggestion. We’ll probably have a big recategoryshufflizing around production shipping time so we keep the # of categories small and well defined. And +1 to the idea of contacting @jules, who is organizing some glowfolk-to-glowfolk help.

8 Likes

I’m so looking forward to the “Gallery” category once units are shipping. Possibly it’s own header on the Home page rather than in the forum. :glowforge:

1 Like

I had started a thread Voice of Experience but it didn’t go very far.

1 Like

There is a wiki thread & section for this now. A few of us have contributed some tips to the tip doc. If I find the link I’ll add it to this post.

Edit: I see it linked above. “Tips for the inexperienced” What’s nice about it being a Wiki is you can update it for everyone else’s benefit. So grab your tip bag and start unloading on that thread! :slight_smile:

1 Like

man, me too.

Brilliant

Lol nice…your kingdom for little 1/8" rubber feet…:wink:
I have an eastern facing glass door at my office…I generally do my “light table” work taped up on it in the mornings…lmao.
But I have LEDs as well as light difusing acrylic I guess I could put something together, but where’s the challenge in that…:grin:

3 Likes