Limits of cut

Hi,
Wondering if anyone can help me out here with some real-world measurements. When I put a piece of proofgrade material in the crumb tray, it fills up just about the whole width in X and most of the height in Y. But in the user interface, I know I can’t get all the way to the boundaries of the piece of proofgrade. Therefore, placing artwork in the design is still a guessing game when it comes to actually lining it up on the workpiece.

Has anyone done experiments to know what these boundaries are, in relation to the crumb tray? For example, where is 0,0 in the user interface relative to the back left corner of the honeycomb in the crumb tray assuming the crumb tray is in proper position? And what is the maximum envelope at the current time in relation to 0,0? Is it still something like 19 and 11? Is there any offset between the user interface and the SVG file’s coordinates?

For most of what I’ve been doing thus far, the placement of the art on the workpiece is not that critical, but for my next round of projects, it will be more of an issue, so I want to start with designs that work rather than re-doing stuff once I find out that I’ve messed up! (if possible!)
Thanks

There is no hard and fast position for 0,0 to reference off of right now. People have requested numeric positioning in the past, but I’m not sure what the status of that request is at the moment.

The maximum envelope is a hair under 19.5 x 11, but changes slightly based on the operation (cut vs score vs engrave) and speed.

2 Likes

IIRC I’ve been using an X of .3" and a Y of 1.05" for my files in Inkscape. Or is the X more like .15"? Whatever it is it is not much. I only do it so when they load into the GUI everything is cuttable. That said, most of the time I’m moving stuff around to fit onto what’s left of pieces of material. It does come in handy if I am going to use my tablet as trying to position things with it is just frustration.

I use .05 for both.

Huh, my not almost 11 inches of Y axis seems to be the top 11 so I have to use 1.05" with Inkscape. And yeah, I had a little extra room on the X, but that is almost never the dimension I have to worry about. Amazing how many times you want more Y distance.

1 Like

I built rulers to measure the real locations and thus also the limits of a build.

If you need sub-millimeter precision you should investigate jig setups. I prefer a 2-edge approach myself:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/alignment-of-irregular-objects-coasters/16116

This will get you accuracy to about a kerf.

1 Like

I very rarely need high precision unless I am doing a bunch of the same thing many times, but I keep sub-millimeter precision for all the times I pick up the work and it has not cut all the way through. Then even 0.1 mm off will just make a mess.