Living hinge notebook cut on a Glowforge

What Inkscape version do you have? I’m on the 0.91 version and it seems they have changed their syntax a bit which makes this extension throw an error. I’m not a software guy so I’m just taking random stabs at what to change and seeing what affects it has on the error messages!

UPDATED: I figured it out myself. Had to re-write a little bit of the code due to the syntax change. It works for the parameters used on the website. I’m more than willing to email the modified .py file for anyone to use on the 0.91 version of Inkscape (I don’t have a way to upload it to a website unless someone suggested something). You’ll still have to get the .INX file from the original link.

3 Likes

I have 0.48 on my Windows PC. I could get the box maker and the living hinge with the Laser Tools from Original Author – Elliot White, forked by Reid Borsuk. I couldn’t get the Mark Endicott one to work. You could PM me with the modified .py content. I tried to make sense of it, but python I do not know. Haven’t done much work on living hinges and won’t until I have a forge to play with since so much of it depends on materials. Thanks for the work.

0.91 includes a few laser ready goodies, like Hershey Text. I cannot remember if it packages the box maker in as well.

I have a cousin who does scroll saw work and she likes to use walnut oil. I’m sure there are a lot of similar ways to keep the wood from drying out quickly.

Thanks. I didn’t pay attention to versioning for Inkscape on my Windoze machine. I’m so used to the auto-updates with Ubuntu repositories for my Linux machine. Will remedy that.

Had no clue what that was but thought it had something to do with making candy wrappers. Nice extension. It makes lettering one stroke for the CNC machine to read rather than outline and fill. Once again, if you can think of a better way to do it with the computer, someone has already come up with the solution and usually there is a free version! Ok. After wrestling with figuring out how to run explorer on windows 10 as administrator, I have all the extensions working. Wow. The more you know.

I just ordered my Glowforge and am quite excited! We own a stationery store where we make everything we sell and I think a living hinge journal is just what the shop needs!

2 Likes

Finally have enough laser power to cut a living hinge :grinning:
3mm MDF
My son needed a dice box…lol
Now that I know it cuts well…cant wait to create more.

20 Likes

Nice job. Isn’t it cool when you first cut one of those and it bends without breaking? I love living hinge projects. Doing a book cover this weekend when I get back home.

3 Likes

Yes! The first one wasnt thin enough. I think the image had been enlarged and it snapped in two. :disappointed_relieved:
So I just figured out how to do my own and it worked perfectly. :smirk:

2 Likes

Check out this site for some design considerations & even a calc feature if you don’t want to do the math yourself: Deferred Procrastination’s Living Hinges

Or this Instructable: here

5 Likes

New toy or upgrade?

Refilled my laser tube…lol. It was running at about half watts.

2 Likes

Yup, those are good resources…I have a math degree, but alas after so many years…I wanna be lazy…lol

I actually use one for qtr and eigth inch that I know works and then cut & copy as needed depending on the length or width of the piece & curve I want to use. Quicker than calculating the “correct” factors :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That closure! Thank you. We’ve been wrestling with one of these around the lab.

1 Like

Anyone know how living hinges hold up over time? They look really cool.

With anything, over time it will weaken. I saw it was suggested that you glue a strip of thin fabric on the inside and that will give it strength and last longer…

4 Likes

Oh, fabric sounds like a good idea to help stabilize it.

2 Likes

True. The death of a living hinge is pulling it open. So if can keep people from expanding it by pulling it apart it lasts fine (like tambours). Fabric backing keeps people from stretching it open while allowing it to bend within the tolerances of the hinge design.

6 Likes