Looking for home remedies/suggestions

I think I bought dental wax for one of my kid’s braces which would have been many, many long years ago. I guess maybe your parents never needed it, but the treasurers found while searching seem worthwhile. I can’t believe there is no paraffin in a house where jam making might have occurred. Clumps of chapstick also work, but dissipate rather quickly. Eventually you will develop a callous on your cheek and all will be fine.

1 Like

This is a pretty well known treatment :slight_smile:

1 Like

It hurts a lot less when you just get it over with… :smiley:

2 Likes

Do you have an empty plastic milk/juice jug?
Try cutting out a small round piece, put in very hot water until it softens then gently form/bite around the broken tooth to make a temp guard. (Most milk jugs are HDPE, melting point ranges from 120-180 C)

3 Likes

The diamond file seems to have done the trick. Can’t tell for SURE because my cheek is sore there already, but I’m not getting the sharp pangs I was getting before, so yay! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When you stop the razor sharp edge scraping the cheek it quits getting worse but there are several meds made for mouth sores that can help the pain with some antibiotic and anesthetic in them and are good to keep in the med cabinet. H2O2 is also good to help with the swelling and infection. I keep a bottle of Everclear about for just such medical reasons. The extremely low water content is the key, as it will grab water off the HO bits of organic chemicals so any dilution severely reduces the effect.

2 Likes

400+ grit silicon carbide wet-or-dry paper works well too.
Easy to make small pieces to fit in tight spaces.

3 Likes

Everclear… Best medical advice in this whole dang thread!

• I am not a real doctor, I just play one on the internet.
3 Likes

How are you feeling? I just now saw the post. I have used that dental wax (used to use it with braces back in elementary & middle school…I have a memory! yay!) for sharp things in my mouth. I have even used it when a tooth broke and was sharp. You might be able to do curbside pick up at a CVS or Walgreens; Walmart delivery (with $30? order); or maybe the grocery store might have it and deliver it as well. I am hoping you are doing better. :slight_smile:

Oh, yeah, all better. :slight_smile: I dulled it down with a diamond nail file and it’s fine now. Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.