Looking for Library Makerspaces using Glowforge

We just opened a brand new building and have a Makerspace which includes a Glowforge. We built the building with a vent system for the Glowforge and that has worked well. The room also has an overhead exhaust fan in it which I do run when using the Glowforge, this is more to keep the smell of burning wood from causing major panic in the Library.

The Glowforge did have a bit of trouble with interference from other WiFi items and since you can’t hardwire it into the network it was a bit annoying. The IT department set the Glowforge and a designated laptop up with a separate IP address, which has really helped.

I am still working on learning what it takes to create projects and will probably end up getting the Glowforge Premium if we can swing it in my budget. ($19.95 a month) Patrons that are coming in to get “certified” to use the Glowforge are all the way from novice to experienced graphic designers. I expect the novices will make one or two things and the novelty will wear off. I think those who are designers will come infrequently unless they are stopping by to decide about purchasing one.

5 Likes

Thank you for all the information. This forum has lots of free projects if you are looking for ready made designs for your people to make.

1 Like

Thank you for this post, I work at a Library as well and in our Studio Services department we have recently added a Glowforge.

I work for the Central Rappahannock Regional Library, in Fredericksburg, VA. We just opened a dedicated MakerLab building, and we have a Glowforge Pro. We use the filter box, and haven’t had a problem yet. We use MDF boards to teach customers how to use it, but right now there is a 2 hour time limit due to the pandemic. Here’s the link to the library website if you want to know more.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.