Looking to learn in PA

Ok so, this will be my first time with this machine and programming EVER, and I’m looking to find someone local to me that I could learn from. I’m not anticipating receiving my machine until October/November, but that doesn’t mean I need to wait until then to learn as much as I can. I’m in the Harrisburg, PA area and willing to travel. Thanks for any help!

4 Likes

i would run through an online class like this:

and then spend some time learning fusion 360 (i know it’s daunting but there are a million good videos out there!) and a vector program of your choice (illustrator, inkscape, affinity designer, etc). then you’ll be ready to go when your laser comes.

additionally, you might try looking for a local makerspace or laser cutter and see if you can pay to cut some of your own designs on it; that would give you some good hands-on laser experience if you wanted to try something before your glowforge arrives.

12 Likes

This is awesome, thank you! I really want to make the most of my time waiting. This is just something that I’m really in the dark with, so I want to get learning. Thanks so much for the info!

1 Like

And of course there are all the tutorials in the Glowforge Tips & Tricks category…

3 Likes

I came here as a laser and CNC neophyte (still climbing out of that hole) and this forum has been my primary source of education. The tutorials that @cynd11 mentioned, if you understand those and have a fundamental grasp of your chosen design software, you will be well armed when your glowforge arrives.
This place is full of people willing to help, so if you have any questions, all you have to do is post them! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I think that has been half of the excitement for me. The company AND the customers seem so willing and excited to help. A very positive start to something very unfamiliar

3 Likes