Lowest safe temperature for storage of glowforge (coolant, does it expand.. freezing point)

A little bit shown in this laser tube company commercial advertisement.

7 Likes

Thanks for that Rick. At a glance, the workers glasses didn’t look all that comprehensive considering the potential for exposure in there.

1 Like

The relatively narrow acceptable temperature range is why I opted to locate my GF Pro in the upstairs loft area rather in the 3rd car garage workshop. And though I have an ugly vent set-up out a window (until the filter comes), I am glad I put it in the house, because I can easily run up the stairs to check on things at night when a job is in progress. (I don’t 100% babysit.)

1 Like

There are digital thermostatic controllers that you can attach to a heating pad. You can specify the temperature and it will turn the heating pad off/on to maintain a temp.

We have a refrigerator in the garage my husband uses for brewing beer. He has a heating pad attached to the wall of the fridge. The fridge turns on and off, and the heating pad turns on and off to maintain a consistent temp in there.

2 Likes

thanks for that alternate controller. It looks very similar to the one that came with my seedling heating pad posted above (see link/pics).

My heat pad is extremely low power / gentle… doesn’t put off very strong heat at all. But keeps the space gently at the temp you set. Works well so far. But it hasn’t gotten too cold yet.

to all those suggesting or considering a heating pad, a hot brick or whatever contraption to heat up the inside of the GF or it’s immediate surrundings:
the GF sucks in a heck of a lot of air through its bottom and out the window. if the ambient air in the room is cold that air will enter the GF. a heating pad or brick might trick the sensor into thinking it’s safe to operate the GF, but as soon as that fan kicks in, the heating pad will have no effect.
I realize that many have used these methods with no adverse consequences but my fear is that you are actually shocking the tub + electronics with a blast of colder air.

1 Like

Makes sense if you’re going to try using the GF. Of course no one should use the glow forge in 40 or below. Heat pad or not doesn’t matter, that cold air is sucking in as soon as you lift the lid and turn on the fans.

My heat pad is just for winter storage until the garage gets warmer.

1 Like

Mine is because the basement can be in the high 50s when it’s sub-zero outside for days or weeks at a time. The pad keeps the inside warm enough to run within a pretty close range (58F vs 60F spec). Probably doesn’t really need it but it’s insurance. The couple of degree difference isn’t going to crack a tube based on my other lasers.

1 Like

In this thread because Atlanta may get snow/ice Tuesday and I’m worried about a power outage. I rent studio space in a warehouse that hovers in the low 60s-upper 50s at night. If the power is out all together, I’m worried about temps in the high teens later in the week. Might have to find a way to get it home tomorrow.