Lunar Lander Pop Up Card

thank you

Damn, that is amazingā€¦

2 Likes

The guyā€™s work was phenomenal. Thatā€™s the Sacre Cour cathedral in Paris. He had a few others as well. (Iā€™m not sure if the file I converted was supposed to be out floating around on the internet, so Iā€™ve never tried to adapt it for sale. Itā€™s just for looking at.) :smile:

1 Like

Willem Boning made the design available on his original website long ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100428074032/http://members.shaw.ca/woa/modsacrecoeur.htm

It is explicitly licensed for personal use only:

His site was taken down in early 2017 when the hosting provider discontinued service. I am unaware of any new site.

A lot of origamic architecture artists who would otherwise share patterns for personal use online have been put off by people selling cards made from their designs without permission, people sharing the patterns or finished cards without credit, representing the work as their own or, making minor changes and claiming it is original work. Pinterest is full of unattributed scans of patterns from pattern books, which are already a hard sell to publishers.

While that probably feels familiar to people here, itā€™s a particular sore point for the OA community.

3 Likes

Never knew his last nameā€¦the file I found was obviously one of those that had been appropriated and floated around the internet at the time. (This was back in 2006 or 2007.)

The digital cutter scrapbooking industry was just getting fired up at the timeā€¦we went through the same copyright related issues that new laser users are having to work out now. (Ten years and we never figured it out.) :smile:

Now I feel good though for never trying to sell it.

2 Likes

Wow - did I ever go down the rabbit hole!!! Thanks, @evermorian! Many years ago I dabbled with making my own popup cards by hand, and now the thought of just scoring and cutting on the laser is tantalizing. I looked through all your various site listings, and picked a couple to try.

This one is from Popupology, and a free download. The score lines were big dashes, so I did end up altering the file so every score is a single line all the way across. The file was already color coded to red and blue for mountain and valley scores, so that was easy to keep.

The one thing I hadnā€™t counted on, is that it is still a lot of careful folding - and my hands are just not cut our for that, even though layering the cuts and scores made this a ton easier and precise. Still, it was fun to walk down that particular memory lane. Meanwhile I think Iā€™ll stick to ecards. :rofl:

6 Likes

You did good. :blush:

2 Likes

Yay! Iā€™m glad you had a go at one. There are some tricks to make folding easier, like scoring mountain folds on the front and valley folds on the back but, itā€™s often still a digital dexterity marathon (in the sense of the digits on your hands, of course).

1 Like

Good thought about doing the valley folds on the back, didnā€™t think of that.

1 Like

thank you so much for all the information, trying to sepeation design it all in one thinking I need 6 parts to work for 90 degree pop up

1 Like

amazing

1 Like