Made another stacking mandala today

Just saw this today on a FB group for lasering. NOT MY WORK.

28 Likes

Wow! Has almost an optical illusion effect. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Cool! Really interesting effect! I’m definitely tagging this for later inspiration.

Wild, I’m still trying to wrap my head around how to start designing one of these.
Do you start with the top layer and then just expand the strokes for each layer as you go back?

I suppose you could start with that strategy, but then you’d need some rules for what to do when the expanded strokes start to overlap themselves and other strokes. It’s not obvious to me how to do that in this example.

Maybe just a tile pattern done in 3d? You could have a separate tile for each layer then just rotate the tile for whatever size you want.

3 Likes

Can you link to the FB group? I’ve never thought to look for one. (It’s a decent community?)

Sorry can’t seem to link but search in facebook for two groups.

“Laser engraving and cutting” - really good group
"Laser & cnc cut patterns" - don’t overly recommend , not bad, a Russian post patterns for sale.

That is super inspiring! :slight_smile:

I was about to post this boredpanda article (by Keenan McCune) but I didn’t want to duplicate so I did a quick search and found this topic (by Keen4n) about the very same thing! Great post on boredpanda, @Keen4n!

And this led me to Keen4n’s kickstarter which is already 188% funded but has 11 hours to go if you want to grab some of the rewards. Their kickstarter also has some nice videos and background. Very interesting.

14 Likes

cool stuff, but I want my Glowforge and maybe make one myself.

2 Likes

Thanks Vern!