Made the X-Wing and Tie Fighter Ornaments :) Learned a lot, too; learn from my mistakes! - Update, now in ACRYLIC, OOOHHH, AAAAHHH

Blind I was.
Thanx!

4 Likes

Red and green lights hanging as laser fire between the fleets even fits the season!

9 Likes

Ooooh oooh! Unjacketed fiber optic cables that wrap around the tree towards the enemy fleet!

5 Likes

or you could use these in a babies mobile, like the one that was made earlier this week!

6 Likes

Brilliant!!

2 Likes

Couldnt resist starting on this project :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very cool!!

1 Like

Ok this just amped up my excitement to get my unit! Next years May 4th is going to be so fun!!! Nice work!

5 Likes

Impressive. Most impressive.

4 Likes

Hi , I tried this, I only had medium maple plywood, not hardwood, maybe that is the problem? When I cut at full power the pieces that should have been cut as one, came out in multiple parts. i tried precision settings and the parts didnt cut all the way through, was I supposed to change anything else in glowfrge design view? they all were set for cut I believe, none for engrave or score, was that how you did it? thanks!

Started playing with these this week. I canā€™t seem to get the X-Wing together without something breaking. It seems like the cuts arenā€™t quite the right size. The Tie goes together without a problem.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying it out right now. Did you follow the instructions in the PDF? The blue lines need to be set to score and the red lines need to be set to engrave.

Here is the link to the thingiverse page with all the files.

5 Likes

Looks like I had the same issue you did with the X-Wing. Iā€™ve modified the file slightly, Iā€™m going to try it again.

Tie Fighters destroyed the X-Wings.

16 Likes

still breaking, I see. That is a nice effect, though.

1 Like

I made this; as my first acrylic cut. Acrylic gives me a headache even the day after (next to GF).

models were great, printed on 1/8" proof grade. Weeded using fingernails, and Silhouette weeding tools.

I forgot to re-order, this meant it CUT before engraving. I got away with it, but only just.

The wings were loose. I applied some old KRAGL I had lying around, but it didnā€™t seem to bond it. Perhaps KRAGL is not cyanoacetate.

15 Likes

Big points for the KRAGL reference :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi, sorry for replying so lateā€¦been soooooo busy with other stuff that i havenā€™t been on for monthsā€¦

Plywood wonā€™t work, cause the layers separate. Did you use the file I uploaded, or the original one on their site? Their original leaves too much attached, imo, hard to separate without breakingā€¦

I used your version, Iā€™m pretty sure, for exactly the reasons you mention.

I used medium proofgrade draftboard and it was so hard to get the square pegs into the square openings, I kept breaking things. Are you guys cutting down with a razor-blade or something?