Makin' some apple cubes

Cool…might have to pick one of those up! :slightly_smiling_face:

Bah! It’s the grease that makes it sinful! Jules, the parchment was just a one-off, I actually use aluminum foil most of the time.

1 Like

Must admit, it does seem to be the point of bacon. :smile:
(I might just try cooking at a higher temp - those look like good results.)

I make my own bacon, and let me tell ya, never ever again will I eat store bought bacon.

11 Likes

Uhhhh! Little dab of apple butter on the side… :yum:

Yum! …and the tomatoes are almost ready to pick. :yum:

Ditto…

… and pancetta

7 Likes

Hungry!!!

So… Progress of the apple pics?

2 Likes

We just hung them this weekend! Discovered some areas for improvement:

• It would help if the stem slot was a couple mm wider

• Additional drain holes should be put around the interior corners because the cube is unlikely to hang straight up/down

• Additional holes for attaching hanging wire to accommodate various orientations

Note the engraved cat on the interior, which hopefully will be imprinted on the apple when it fills the box.

13 Likes

I guess that’s why I hadn’t seen the square fruit until the Intarwebs showed them to me. The region where @timjedwards and I were born was primarily involved with production of tea, rice, and silkworms. (And round silkworm cocoons are better for spinning off the silk, so…)

2 Likes

me three, although i don’t have pics at the moment. i do a full belly a couple of times a year in the kamado.

one trick i’ve found–which is great if there are only 1-2 of you in your household like mine–is to use cling wrap and essentially wrap each slice as part of a whole stack. that way i can freeze an entire belly’s worth of bacon in a few packages and still be able to pull off as many slices as i want, from one (hah! like i would eat just one!) to 21. it also helps prevent freezer burn.

What do they look like now? I’ve been lurking on this thread since it was started…so curious! My husbands boss owns an apple juice company, and he’s got a bottle of wine with an apple in it. Same concept…let the apple grow inside the bottle on the tree, pick when ripe, fill with wine!

4 Likes

I have a pear brandy for that, too. :grin:

2 Likes

Well I’m not sure; the orchard is not near my home and we haven’t visited lately. But I’ll be sure to post an update when I get one!

3 Likes

$800 for one of those cube shaped watermelons…you ought to sell your apple. :smile:

1 Like

Well, fall has arrived and the apples are coming along nicely. There’s still about a month left to go, and the apples are just starting to press up against the box interior. We made 3 different size boxes, with interiors of 2.25, 2.5 and 2.75". I think I should have made them all .5" smaller on the inside. We’ll see how much bigger the apples get.

I noticed one has what looks like bugs squished between the apple and the box; not sure what they are.

20 Likes

Excited to see how they look when removed. One more month!

Looks like caterpillar poop to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Is it shellac?

1 Like