Making ear savers

Yep. Did this. I mean, I’m not sitting around waiting for request for hooks. :slight_smile: I was mostly just curious where people were seeing the most need and if it was medical or other places entirely.

4 Likes

i’ve dropped them off at other random places when i’ve been out. i keep a few stacks in the truck with me. i’ve dropped small stacks off at a fire station, the vet, the post office, the grocery store. anywhere people are wearing masks all day.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m not out and about at all. :slight_smile:

I sent out about 60 of them to medical folks in my life, or people they connected me with, so far.

1 Like

i’m trying not to. but we do need groceries occasionally, had a vet visit, and i’m picking up acrylic from HD and dropping shipping boxes at the PO.

2 Likes

Getting groceries delivered. Skipping vet visits (why is the vet open when all our other medical offices are closed?!). Using acrylic I already have (just stocked up a month or so ago). And shipping from home. :slight_smile:

We did go to the bakery earlier this week for birthday cake, though. Curbside pickup!

1 Like

Hubs won’t let me go anywhere; he does all the necessary errands. So I try to find ways to get stuff without him going anywhere, except for Kovasovik’s, our little “miles from anywhere” meat market / grocery store, and an occasional trip to take stuff over to my parents that they need (just a drop off at the facility entrance, since no one is allowed in) . I’m glad the vets are still open, actually, since I have puppies needing their shots, but our vet does the parking lot thing (stay in your car and they come get your animals, do their stuff, then bring them back), which I appreciate. I think they just have one more round and we can be done with that, until we run out of heartworm pills.

What kind of surprised me was finding out dog groomers are essential but barbers and hairstylists aren’t. Who makes this stuff up?

3 Likes

People with a vested interest.

1 Like

ours is the same. and Dany was due for a whole bunch of stuff, since this is the one-year mark from when we got her. including rabies, and needed heartworm/flea stuff. if it was just an exam or something like bortadella for kennel cough, i’d have skipped it.

but they were pretty excited to get the clips, they’re in masks all day, too.

2 Likes

My problem with Glowforge is we have to buy the material and they want us to use the file with their name on it. So they want to take the credit for something they didn’t invest in. We buy the machine, acrylic, pay for shipping or gas to donate the items. I’m sorry but a 20% discount on acrylic isn’t enough for me to put their label on. I took it off. If they would donate acrylic then I could see them getting partial credit. I don’t even take credit when I hand these out. Glowforge just wants to make money with free advertisement

1 Like

Yes, it rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Except…

You don’t have to use their material. I haven’t.

And you don’t have to run the score layer. I haven’t.

And you can donate to whoever you want to however you want to. I haven’t used their site, I’ve had no issues finding people/places to donate to.

But if you don’t have easy resources to donate to, they’ve created a place for people to match up.

4 Likes

Have they matched anyone up? I’ll have to go looking for that…

no idea. but regardless, i don’t think i would attribute any of this to them taking advantage of the pandemic. i think what they’re doing is a good thing. none of the things people are saying are negative are anything GF is pushing on them. they even gave instructions on how to edit your file and gave everyone the editable file. if they’d only made it available in the GFUI, maybe…

You can take advantage of the pandemic and help people at the same time. You’d be kidding yourself if you didn’t think GF and every other company has thought of that.

It only took about 6 minutes for pizza places to develop commercials touting their “touch free” systems of cooking.

is that “taking advantage” or “staying in business?”

my company is working on things that are pandemic related. does that make us people taking advantage?

to me, people “taking advantage” or people who are price gouging on masks. or the etsy folks selling mask clips for $5.99 / ea that other people designed and gave away the designs and are donating either for free or at cost.

GF doesn’t even have acrylic in stock to make money off of right now.

maybe i’m just not cynical enough, but most people who know me wouldn’t say that was true.

7 Likes

Well you can call it what you want.
It was a well crafted plan to drive business to themselves.

The grumbling only started (at least I started seeing it) when folks weren’t seeing any follow up. They ramped up a plan to provide these things, then nothing further.

I know you have found people in need as did my wife… 6,000+ and she hardly tried.

So the impression was that the program was more about ‘touch less pizza’ than helping our fellow man.

I have read that you have distributed quite a few. Keep it up. Nice work.

2 Likes

All I’m trying say is that Glowforge wants us to help but I wish they help us to help others. We are doing what we can but we all could use some help right now. Our business has been shut down since all of this started. We are big in donating our time and money. With the loss of income it’s hard.

Also I’m doing this without the advertisement of our business. This is not the time for it in my opinion

Have they matched anyone up?

Yes. I got an email from GF today matching me with a request for 52 Ear Savers. Now in the process of arranging a drop-off.

1 Like

They matched me up with the ER down the street. They were conservative about the need, and I was conservative about how many I could provide, so when we talked, a small order became 150 with my promise to provide more as needed.

Also, I simultaneously applaud you getting out and finding places needing them, but look at you side-eyed for throwing shade at Glowforge for putting their name on the file they provided.

4 Likes