Mandala Experiments

@cynd11 and @Drea, maybe you guys could put together a leather working/coloring tutorial for us leather ignorant users? I engraved some leather, but that’s pretty basic stuff, after seeing the stuff coming out now, I realize I know absolutely nothing about leather, and even less for lasering and then post-processing leather…

9 Likes

It’s gonna have to be @drea I’m afraid. My leather experience is limited to that one pair of earrings I made (I think I got lucky that they turned out well). I do know a little bit about Copic markers though.

Oh, and don’t forget our other leather lady, @morganstanfield.

5 Likes

Let me think on this. I might be able to put something simple together … or at least find some good blogs/tutorials that cover the basics (why reinvent the wheel if it’s already out there?). Will give it some thought in the next few days.

4 Likes

Thanks @jbv and @cynd11, that give me an “excuse” to justify buying Copics :grin:

I did mine with a fridge compressor and a fire extinguisher as a tank. It’s pretty silent and hold way more than 100 psi (usually I paint just with 30 psi)

1 Like

Question about the results. Did the inks really soak in through the leather or simply overflow over the side and soak in the cut edge? You would have to slice the leather in an inked area to know for sure. I knelt bring this up because it happens to me when I paint or stain wood.

3 Likes

Can’t speak to the alcohol ink, but I know without question that the alcohol dye/leather dye definitely soaks down below the top grain.

3 Likes