Maneki Neko Earrings

These are adorable. We got quite a bumpy ride in LA, I guess the South Bay area got very shaken up. Hope that’s the end of that one…

2 Likes

These are so adorable. I hope they appreciate your efforts!

1 Like

One day the fish tank is not going to make it. I do not look forward to cleaning that up.

@djfb I like your wife’s collection and I think she will be very appreciative if you collect some more for her birthday next year when she turns 28.

@rvogt even if they don’t appreciate it, my husband came up with another idea last night that I’m going to think over once I have the base window sign completed.

He thinks I should make one for each of my favorite restaurants in town. A different cat for each restaurant, and make a charm that matches each cat. Then I can share in our town’s “love food” page, and hopefully I can help bring in extra business by people coming in to buy things just to collect charms.

I’d have to run out by my favorite places first, because I don’t really want to add any extra burden to them, but a lot of my favorite places were hit hard by covid and are struggling to stay open.

4 Likes

So cute! Love the earrings. As for the earthquake, I don’t miss those at all. I remember them all too well, having experienced many of them. We’d just moved from the Santa Cruz area when the one centered there caused all the collapse in San Francisco and surrounding area, including the collapsed two-decker freeway (Santa Cruz is only an hour south of SF for those that don’t know the area). The house we’d been living in was damaged. Our youngest daughter just felt one last week in northeastern Nevada - a 4.7. They don’t get them that often, but they’re starting to happen more and more.

Hope your local business does well and you can get your donuts back. Maybe if you go there more often and ask for them each time . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess the irony of it all is, it is my favorite donut, but I can’t eat it anymore. I had to cut out carbs/sugar/gluten to control some health issues.

So when I see them, I do buy them, but I give them to my kids to enjoy, and I don’t want to overload them with donuts. I feel like my grandparents, all diabetics, but overloading the grandkids with sugar just to see someone else enjoying their favorite foods.

:rofl::rofl: I just like having the option of a nearby place that sells them so other people can enjoy my favorite donut. I want everyone to try my favorite donut!!! :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I love these worldly tidbits…as I am perhaps more sheltered than some. Next best thing to being able to travel.

2 Likes

Earthquake alley here in the PNW. Have only experienced 2, maybe three mild (in the grand scheme of things) ones and I was absolutely terrified. Probably overreaction, but still…

2 Likes

Years ago I had a list of things I would like to see or experience. On the list was experience an earthquake, see a tornado, volcanic eruption, etc… I did most of the things on the list but some were less fun than I expected. My first earthquake was the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in 1989. Was less than 20 miles from the epicenter. Don’t need to do that again.

5 Likes

Not on purpose, I’ve been through earthquake, tornado, fire, and hurricane. I’d rather not go through volcanic eruption. Though maybe from a distance, that would be fine… but I’d rather not experience anything like Pompeii.

3 Likes

I grew up terrified of earthquakes and tornadoes. So naturally moved to Southern California. I actually saw a rare funnel cloud forming here some years ago, and that’s when I discovered that I am one of those dummies who walks into the threat. It was just SO INTERESTING and hypnotic… :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Let’s see, I’ve got 2 earthquakes, one water spout (water tornado), an Egyptian sandstorm, and lots and lots and lots of Florida hurricanes (with one roof replacement). As I live in the shadow of Mt Baker, WA, I’ll forgo the pleasure of a volcanic eruption, please.

Oh yeah, a snowstorm in a helicopter. Never again! We were on an instrument flight plan and I was an Instrument Flight Examiner, but it was still Not Fun.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea! It’s not quite as expensive to do a bit of marketing for them as a $4500 flight!

Maybe they will make you a special batch if you want one :drooling_face:

1 Like

I didn’t know that fact.

I love them, and the colours are stunning! What a lovely thing to do for a business, it’s so sad when we see our favourites struggling isn’t it! :cry:

Could you share what the earrings are made of?

1 Like

The earrings in the photo are medium proofgrade maple hardwood. I had just enough scrap leftover to test them on, so I did. I used acrylic paint pens to color it in and it gave really good coverage, even with the finished wood.

Because I’m absolutely horrid at free hand painting, I need to use light colored wood (usually maple plywood or Baltic birch) for most of my creations. I draw in everything that needs to be colored in the computer for the glowforge to score or engrave. So when I go to paint it, I can color like a coloring book and any where I color too close to the lines, the score lines stop the majority of the paint mistakes.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing. That’s still super neat, I’m such a messy painter, whenever I attempt something similar it just goes everywhere :rofl:

Trust me, I’m not only the same way (I’m still covered on paint from a project yesterday. Can’t get it off) but if i try to freely paint it, my family laughs and tells me I should stop trying and have someone else do it.

Yesterday’s fiasco brought so many laughs, and also had me go and draw out every single detail on another cat I need to paint. Unfortunately, I still have one more cat to do, and I’m not sure I can draw out the pattern (it’s a tortie)… I’m going to have a lot of disaster paint practice cats today to add to my casualties from yesterday.

1 Like

Come to Hawaii! Closer than Japan and we have the mochi donuts everywhere! However, I will say that the mochi donuts from Mr. Donut is still the best!!! I had them in Japan & Taiwan.

3 Likes

Hawaii is too expensive for me :rofl: :rofl: I’ve never been there, I’ve always wanted to go, but my friends who moved there frigthened me off with horror stories on prices.

I feel more comfortable knowing I can get a ticket to Japan, and even if that breaks the bank, I can still survive while there by sleeping in a rental car and eating complete meals from a convenient store. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Did your cats work? Is the store busy now?