Material identification

Came across this yesterday. May be a great way to check materials for containing safe/unsafe materials.

The device works off near IR spectroscopy.

They don’t have a lot of what I consider actual spec info out there and not quite happy how the seem to keep a lot info locked down, but may be a promising method long term.

In their forum there is a thread or two on measurement repeatability, and accuracy , all details I wish had more info published.

Check the business link for more info as well.

I’ll need to do a bit more background research before plonking down 250 or 500 bucks, but it’s an intriguing device. If it works well, may be a great gf 2.0 add on (scan prior to laser to give a warning if the material is unknown or unsafe )

5 Likes

This device got lots of discussion way back when. I’m wondering where they are in the project:

2 Likes

Missed that. From the Scio forums (looks like they are open to read :slight_smile: ) feels like there is still a bit of work to do with the models etc…

Read through the old thread. Good info. Feels like still wait and see. My biggest issue with their website is that’s really short on real info…

1 Like

Just what the “chemtrail” crowd needs.

“Oh, gee. Says it’s just water vapor with trace combustion by-products of kerosene…”
“No way! The gov’ment programmed this thing!!”

1 Like

May be better than using the canary inline with my GF exhaust tube… :scream:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this type of identification would be the best for all types of material. I use these types of devices to identify explosives. http://www.thermoscientific.com/en/product/trudefender-ftx-ftxi-handheld-ftir-chemical-identification.htmlIf the material you are using is solid throughout and the device you are using has that material in it’s library then you would be fine, but if it is layered like plywood then it will do you no good. Due to the fact that it only does surface detection. It might run off a slightly different method though i doubt by much. Still cool there getting this kind of tech out there. Ours are quite expensive.

2 Likes

Spectroscopy of surface reflection is novel, but for accuracy a sample is vaporized and analyzed, like the Curiosity rover on Mars uses a laser to vaporize a mineral sample and read it.

Wonder how long it will be before a laser engraver has laser spectroscopy incorporated to identify every aspect of materials.

2 Likes

Good point. We have the power source to vaporize already…now just need a mini gas chromatography or so :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A LIBS (laser induced breakdown spectroscopy) unit inside the engraver?
Hmm. That won’t work for things that burn easily, and usually uses a pulsed laser to take out a small sample quickly, plus needs a fast, low light sensitive spectro.
It’s doable, but would probably add $7k to the price using current technology ($3k if you got creative).
And even then it couldn’t tell you which hydrocarbon compound that you’re dealing with, just which elements.

For many things, NIR would be more accurate and cheaper.
(X ray fluorescence would still only identify the elements, but might be cheaper if you have the right contacts)

2 Likes