Materials and suppliers

I think for those of us that aren’t primarily designers, or simply too busy to create everything, a supply of models/designs to make would be good as well. I haven’t ordered from these folks yet, makecnc but plan to, once I get a shipping notice. They have some fairly interesting designs, at what seems to me, to be a reasonable price & a fair usage agreement.

Glowforge has said that they will in fact be managing a design/template site.
It seems that perhaps there are plans to sell (or give away) “official designs” as well allow us community members to upload designs for sale or for free.

All true, however, it could be months after delivery of the GF, before that actually happens.

Some people have already been sharing designs here on the forum; proven designs that have been cut previously and new design ideas that are being collaborated upon. I would bet on seeing many more free designs and collaborations start to show up here (or linked from here) as soon as people start receiving their Glowforges. Someone may even set up an independant, free, Glowforge-only design-sharing network or FTP repository.

2 Likes

This was a fun yard sale find. A good number of science kit type solar panels for $1 each. They will be great for my wife’s STEAM classes with some laser cut structures and motors or lights. Also some pristine balsa wood that they gave me for free.

3 Likes

Found some fun stuff at our local ReStore. They were having a 40% off everything sale. Grabbed some tiles to experiment with, as well as some glass items that are all 1.5" or less. $8 for everything in the photo.

1 Like

Obtained these from a local Exotic Wood shop. I went in looking for 1/8" and 1/4" hardwood sheets and discovered their “scrap wood” bins. $2.50lb for the less exotic and $4lb for the more exotic. Most of what you see was from the cheap bin but the really pretty wood strips on the lower right are something called Cocobolo that sells for $80ft in 1x3. It is described as “high oil content found in this wood can cause problems with gluing” so I am not sure how it will laser. It was just too pretty to pass up regardless. The entire lot cost $16 including the three Tagua nuts that were $0.90 each.

5 Likes

Wear a mask when working with the Cocobolo. Some people do not react to well to that dust.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

Ah yes. The closest ReStore is 30 minutes away. I will do a pilgrimage. I wish there was a Craigslist category for laser materials.

1 Like

+1 on the Craigslist. I have done several searches trying to locate some local materials on the cheap and after lots of sifting, have come up dry.

Love the look of cocobolo. Have done some boxes in it years ago (sans Glowforge). Don’t know how it lasers though.

After seeing the Glowforge bone tests, I added some to my collection.

About 1lb in various sizes, 1/4" thick or less. $18 with free shipping.

1 Like

Thanks for that source, @chevalier_jeanpaul! So much better than trying to cut my own blanks.

Yup. I never had an issue with wood dust but then I worked on cocobolo and I thought “I am having a hard time breathing”

2 Likes

Bought a $30 sample pack of paper and a $2 Utility guide from French paper company.
http://www.frenchpaper.com/sample-packs.html
The info leaflet on the Kraft-tone line in the French paper utility guide states " laser compatible". My wife and I are excited to try and verify this claim when our Glowforge arrives!

5 Likes

I have to wonder if they mean laser printer compatible instead of laser cutter compatible?

Universal Laser Systems, Mid-West 3D solutions has a good resource site on materials.It includes a drop down materials menu and a searchable database. It has some fine illustrations and definitions for laser work. Note that the information on the site includes information on lasers that are both more powerful and of a different type than the Glowforge, so more specific information needs to be noted. However, the information on materials hazards and behavior under a laser is very helpful.

Also Laser Cutting Shapes is a well-made site with lots of materials information and also how-tos on laser technique.

5 Likes

Doh! You’re right. It’s just so hard not to think that everything’s laserable when waiting for your Glowforge! I’m sure the paper will work in the Glowforge, but they probably meant laser printer compatible. I remember when laser printers were the cool thing people oohed and ahhed about. You know, back when dot matrix ruled the printing world. :blush:

This showed up as a gift during the holiday season! I don’t think I have seen much discussion about matboard cutting and etching yet. A quick internet search brought up some pretty amazing results for laser cut matboard. Really excited to try it both for framing art/photos in exotic ways but also in other applications.

Sheet size is 16x20. In the photo I have already resized them to 12x20 and will use the scraps for smaller projects and testing. $36.27 prime.

This pack can be found here at: http://smile.amazon.com/16x20-Matboard-Mat-Board-Blanks-ASSORTMENT/dp/B00W8YCEE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452012343&sr=8-1&keywords=20+mat+board

5 Likes