Materials that aren't certified laser safe

This is definitely adding too much to the complexity. Especially because you’re not going to remove all the oxygen from the environment with that sort of setup.

1 Like

sadly, that’s always the first change :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I apologize for not making that clear; no, as others have said, the warranty on your machine protects your machine against manufacturing defects and so on regardless of which materials you use. We add additional protection if you use Proofgrade materials by guaranteeing that they will not harm your machine.

9 Likes

what about damage to products, say like the much hyped engraving your laptop in the original video?

For laptops specifically, I don’t think you will have much issue. When the laser etches a design on the back of the laptop, it’s only burning off the layer that they cover the metal with. It cannot cut or mark metal. So there is little to no danger in harming your laptop, at least not in a way that will stop the functionality of your laptop.

The Glowforge Terms of Service and the Terms and Conditions, in big long legaleze, say that they are in no way to be held responsible. It also says once your order is accepted by Glowforge you are held to those Terms. Don’t panic. This is fairly standard wording (I checked). But it also means, it’s on you. And for those that are screaming Class Action!, delays are not grounds for legal action, the terms prohibit a Class Action and point individuals to Arbitration. Again standard wording in California but the company has little legal responsibility beyond specific warranty claims.

2 Likes

I’ve got a plastic encased Dell and a little plastic apple logo that might not agree so much. but all the aluminum bits feel pretty safe to me.

I’m just putting a canary cage in-line with my vent tube…:dove: :astonished:

6 Likes