Mini tanto knife

Thank you.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Impressive use of the trace function!

2 Likes

Thanks

Gorgeous looking piece!

2 Likes

Finding the perfect place for the perfect wood is not a minor thing, Richly figured wood is more of a problem than plain wood. I could not have told you that a few years ago, :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tremendous!
I love stuff that is finished in a way it’s not so obvious a laser was involved :wink:

1 Like

Using all your skills has made this a beautiful looking piece.

3 Likes

Oh, wonderful! Your finish work is amazing. And of course I love the koa.

2 Likes

Who doesn’t? Communists, that’s who! Interesting story. Not sure if it’s true. In hawaii, koa was once considered royal wood, but was as plentiful as pine, and relatively inexpensive. Then one day Santana had a guitar commissioned out out of flaming curly koa. When he went on stage with it, EVERYONE wanted it, price eventually shot thru the roof. When I was there, I could get good figured koa for $9 per BF. Bought a whole bunch and moved it to Virginia with me. Then to AZ. that’s what I am working off. This was from a scrap. Not all of that is this nice. But some is.

4 Likes

You saw this?

That is really pretty and a smart way to make a handle. I wonder if they would add a Glowforge to Forged in Fire ? :slight_smile:

I did, but I have a (roughly) a six foot wide, seven foot tall, 20” deep wall of koa in my garage. So I’ll wait until I use that up. Could be awhile at my pace.:rofl::joy: I crack me up sometimes.

2 Likes

The blank I cut (sorry no photo) was pretty rough. Getting the glowforge to cut through . .30” think koa wasn’t pretty. And with the size of the blades they make they probably use thicker, more manly cuts of wood.

1 Like

If you decide to sell some let me know, I suspect you could have many others interested as well.

1 Like

I don’t want to rain on @Aloha’s parade.

Hardly… Also he has only 1/8 inch and can barely keep up at that. Much of the wood I use is 1/4 or more so would be a different thing entirely. Even thicker, cut up as knife handles would get a rush from E-Bay

You’re probably right. Maybe when I’m ready to hang up my tool belt…

1 Like

With that huge a collection you could monetize a lot and still have a lifetime supply! (unless you went on a major Koa furniture spree)

The koa I have doesn’t lend itself to furniture. I have a couple of koa end tables I made in Hawaii. But most of mine are shorts and limbs. But great for small to medium things.

1 Like

Looking for great photos then :grin:

1 Like