Modifications for a GF

The “passthrough functionality” is not really anything special with regard to the software. It’s going to be the same algorithms that allow the laser to finish cutting if you move a piece around.

1 Like

It could be a somewhat simple mod. almost as simple as decoupling the y motor and attaching it to a rotary device.

1 Like

My guess is that Glowforge themselves have plans for other models with expanded Z capabilities (with a corresponding expanded price point) in the future too. I have seen references to cost being a major factor in many of the decisions made for the launch models. My thoughts on one option would be to make it big enough inside for several honeycomb panels of varying thickness to stack in there, so we could adjust the Z incrementally as needed in a much larger range, while keeping the safety of an enclosed cabinet.

was thinking more difficult for the software guys - as it wont be supported out of the box.

possibly… I think it really depends on how the hardware works. If you take the belt off of the y stepper motor, and attach it to a rotary device it will just spin the object you are engraving instead of moving backwards. This could potentially be invisible to the software unless it is using the camera for positioning all the time and double checking that it is moving in the right direction. in that case you might have to put a mirror under the camera and the laser. I dont remember how the focusing works on this unit, but im hoping it can be fooled with a 45 degree mirror underneath it to focus on whatever is on the rotor.

Dan has stated here (Software common between pro and basic?) that the basic model will not have access to the software that supports the passthrough on the Pro model. I assume that their system will be able to detect the difference (firmware setting?). You would have to decide if you can get around that, or feel it is ethical to do so.

1 Like

ah dang. there goes the hope for that one. shame but cest la vie…

I’m not going to go this because I’m a wimp, but what about cutting out the bottom of the GF making the vertical depth higher and then making an adjustable platform underneath the GF. This way you could potentially use much bigger materials. Just an idea. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I can foresee a good bit of this occurring.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would be a potentially worthwhile mod.

Yeah that’s been brought up a few times; I’ll be vaguely interested in it once enough people have done it that the process is straightforward. :wink:

1 Like

For sure. There’d be a lot of concerns to be addressed before I do it as well.

When I was doing my initial research into laser cutters I came across the Full Spectrum H line. One of the things that attracted me to them was that they have a removable floor and an available 3rd axis for doing round things. I ended up not buying one for various reasons, and then the Glowforge appeared on the scene. I definitely intend to investigate the various hacking possibilities once the warranty runs out!

1 Like

Definately. A removable (not just cut out and tossed) bottom would be quite useful. And a 3rd axis would be sweet.

1 Like

It would really be cool to clamp this thing on the side of a building, car, or onto any unlimited size object and go to town. In reading up on this here and other places, it seems like that would be similar to putting duct tape on an air nailer safety trigger at your job site. I did see a kickstarter a few months back for a 3d printer that had unlimited z (vertical) travel based on connecting a few vertical rods/bars. Since the GF is already stackable with its air filter, it would be cool if future versions of the GF allowed you to purchase stackable sections simply to give you more depth while maintaining all safety precautions. Just a brainstorm for future feature requests :smile:

3 Likes

Haha!! Thats an idea for sure!!!

@Joshua Great idea. Maybe they’ll do accessories in future.

This is definitely a needed feature. Having even another couple of inches of z-depth would allow for a huge range of materials to be engraved (not necessarily cut through). A removable base plate (leaving a completely open underside to the unit) would be awesome!

I’d like to do some chess boards with engraved patterns along the edges (among other things). If nothing else, once the GF has paid for itself and earned enough to purchase a replacement I’m definitely going to look into modding it with a removable base and a handy dandy GF printed adjustable base platform. Has anyone thought of doing something like this with a lathe of some sort? …something that allows you to etch a glass bottle, rotate it a bit and continue etching so that you can print a pattern all the way around.

1 Like

Well it is a laser cutter. I would at least try and cut an acryllic table with it. Then a removable floor :smile:

1 Like

We are a diverse, clever group of creative people. Many with technical skills - and great confidence in our abilities. We as individual owners will have the option of sinking as much money and time into improvement as we please.

Some may see this as a slight or even an insult to the Glowforge team. Not so.
These guys are putting together a killer machine and platform that will allow many who weren’t able to (me) to participate.
Mass production at a specific price point negates the ability to include many features. You have to draw a line somewhere.
Many times in my life I have repaired equipment to a higher standard than it was manufactured to - because I like to tinker, and my time (retired) is worth nothing.

On my potential list of improvements/enhancements is the ability to accommodate items taller than 1.5".
Depending on the thermal profile of my basic, more efficient cooling for a longer duty cycle.
The ability to handle cylindrical items would be huge.

I’m sure the product will be robust and quite capable. Any modifications will only be considered once the warranty has expired, and in no way reflects on the excellent work Glowforge has accomplished.
The existence of the “hopper” speaks to the recognition of their customers ingenuity. Bring a group of bright minds to focus and things evolve.
@dan and crew know a significant percentage of their customers stand ready to take the ball and run with it.

5 Likes