Mother of pearl, wow

HAHAHA… I’m a little dense. I just love that technique!

4 Likes

I just ordered this will see if it will do something interesting

4 Likes

Mica powders are great, just be aware that they aren’t great at mixing with a lot of liquids. Not sure if CA will work well. Most people premix micas into epoxy first and then go from there.

3 Likes

I was thinking UV resins in shallow engraves.

3 Likes

Oh yeah should be great. I did that technique with a glow in the dark powder a little while back, but mine was a traditional 2 part epoxy. My only regret what that I didn’t throw it in a pressure pot to cure.

3 Likes

Would that change the taste of food after?

1 Like

Heh not a pressure cooker, a dedicated pressure pot for resin curing. You generally use a compressor to bring the pot to 40-50 psi and it makes the bubbles shrink down to invisible size.

It’s a huge rabbit hole if you look on youtube, the number of people making really interesting resin dice is pretty incredible.

3 Likes

I has a vacuum table made from a really old fashioned refrigerator but lost it in the last move. very good for that.

1 Like

Yeah there’s a couple schools of thought on vacuum versus pressure for resins.

For silicone, most people say vacuum is the way to go. For resin, most people say pressure, no vacuum. It’s sort of situational.

4 Likes

My original reason to build it was casting gold. There is even a school of thought that by pulling the air through the porosity of the plaster you could accomplish the same as a centrifuge and thus make bigger castings.

2 Likes

I have a friend wanting me to do a table with turquoise.

2 Likes

Ooh, sounds cool! Do some research on the sanding though. I think turquoise is even harder than lapis, but if you have a belt sander or a grinder it’s do-able. I had to sand the lapis down with just a palm sander, and wow it was hard! But I can’t wait to see what you do!

1 Like

Turquoise is harder, but not too bad. I used to make silver/turquoise jewelry and still have lots of sand paper all the way up to 2000 grit and some diamond suspension for polishing.

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning!!!

2 Likes

oh, turquoise and mop on walnut. :thinking:

1 Like

I would love to see that! I bet it is beautiful!!

My list of future projects just keeps getting longer.

2 Likes

While looking for the pearl stuff I ran across this rabbit hole…
pearl lightning

Btw Lapiz is sulfur inoculated marble, Turquoise is a much wider range of existence, the best is the same as Lapiz, but it can be chalky enough to write on a blackboard and more, that is why such stuff is soaked in polymer and hardened, but if powdered could make good material.

6 Likes