My beautiful RED shiny Tesla!

Must be pretty rare though because flooded teslas are more often than not salvaged with there battery packs still fully functional. Prehaps the Japanese ones were left flooded for a very long time. Or maybe they weren’t teslas as Tesla doesn’t tend to have dealerships. Thermal runaway is a pretty slow process. Normally taking 20min or more after a major battery rupture to flames. (Gas cars burn a lot quicker after crashes). Bias fan boy here though. You are right. Don’t hang out in a flooded EV but I wouldn’t panic either. If the main lines short there is an auto cut off so battery rupture or water making its way into the sealed battery pack is all you really need to worry about with Teslas. Can’t speak to other EV though.

1 Like

No kidding. This car will probably never need a break job! We break just to stop from 2 MPH.
Because it’s connected, it is already improved since I bought it - like our Glowforges.

1 Like

Some days are good days…

…and some days are the BESTEST days ever!!!

LOL yep these are all real…

1 Like

You may never need new brake pads, but you WILL need brake service from time to time. People who have gone over 100k miles without brake service have had calipers freeze up. You need a brake service to clean the calipers, pistons, etc.

Normally, cars have these components cleaned when the pads are being changed, which happens long before you NEED to clean stuff… Cars with regen braking reverse that, and will need cleaning long before they need new pads.

3 Likes

??? Not really.

Motors are the things that supply motive force for something else. For your drive train, an ICE or an electric motor can provide motive force. On the other hand, a water wheel can motor your mill.

Engines are where motive force is created - some source of energy is converted into mechanical energy. An engine can be an ICE (combustive expansion to movement), an electric motor (electromagnetic to movement), even steam engine or a heat engine (thermal expansion/contraction to movement)… if it’s where the physical power is being created, it’s an engine for the vehicle’s motion.

A conventional car engine (ICE) is both motor (turns the shaft) and engine (turns gasoline into motion.)

An electric car’s motor is both motor (turns the shaft) and engine (converts electricty into motion.)

An engine, more broadly, is anything that converts from one form to another… your creativity is an engine for clever ideas. That’s really what the word comes from - ingenium, Latin for “talent” or “device” - an idea or thing created. Ingenious comes from the same root as engine… and this is also why those who design things are engineers. (They don’t just work with locomotive engines.)

Ooops… long-winded walk down etymology lane over… I return you to your normal conversation…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.