My first and LAST post

I’d reevaluate and pick up the glowforge and compact filter. It’s still better than any other laser in this price range. Worst case, sell the pro/filter new and make $2-3k. That’s more than the interest you would have made.

3 Likes

Well you can ask to be put on the list for the new compact filter and if chosen get put on the list for waiting for them to ship that one. Doesn’t seem much different than waiting on the GF filter except that some of the new ones were released to beta testers

Im sorry for your loss, its no secret that Glowforge blew a Stink bomb on that filter situation.

Many of us were in the very same boat as you. But come hell or high water we wanted to make it work so we did.

Many of us built our own filter systems, there were a few prototypes going around , all of which were likely better than what glow forge was going to give us.

But that would not have been the end of your problems.

The next problem would have been getting the right climate control as the Glowforge was very temper-mental meaning that it flat out would not work if it was to Warm.

This required many of us to have put in a cooling system which would require windows and cost me around $600 for the Unit and some labor to push it to the windows.

Once that problem was solved came the Camera System we had to install to watch the Glowforge so it did not catch on fire as we learned quickly that it can happen.

Next on the list comes all the Software that you will need to make the magic happen.
and the learning curve behind that.

So if you were not planning on all of that and few more jumps and hurdles you most likely made the right choice .

Getting the machine was easy but making it work in a basement with no windows would have been an adventure.

in the long run you might have saved some money;

if it were up to me I would give you the Glowforge for your amazing amount of patience , but it would have taken a lot more than a filter to get you up and running to speed in a basement with no windows…

2 Likes

this isn’t a “glowforge” thing. this is a “laser cutters can burn @#$& down” thing. doesn’t matter how cheap or how expensive, they all need to be monitored.

same with the software. doesn’t matter what machine you have, you still have to be able to create (or purchase) a design and set it up properly to cut/engrave on a laser cutter. that doesn’t change even if you have $50k worth of equipment (like my office does).

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.