My first post - expressing frustration

I thought this was such a shame. People here would have loved and used that machine and it just sits in the background with stuff piled up on it. They effectively use it as a shelf. I dont blame glowforge for wanting their exposure and reach for the company. Just disappointed that it could have gone to someone more appreciative.

2 Likes

The Pre-Release deliveries were just another form of Beta Testing. The Beta units went out to folks that knew what they were doing, and for the most part had lots of experience in testing, designing or the use of similar technologies. They were not allowed to provide feedback to the forum. The Pre-Release units were shipped to a broad selection of customers based on what the company needed at that time. There were people that were experienced with technologies, there were people that had zero experience with design software or lasers. The amount of feedback provided to the company and the changes that have directly resulted from that feedback is astonishing. The Pre-Release program served the company well and by extension the customer base. With very few exceptions the Pre-Release users were average folk and quite a few were not forum participants.

Disagree with how units are being shipped now that production has started but it makes little sense to complain about either the Beta or Pre-Release programs. Those were part of the development and test process.

7 Likes

And Adam is a consultant for GF as well… in his own words (at about 20 secs)… whats that mean that he’s not even using it? BTW they have a pre-release… wonder if they got a production model yet?

1 Like

I’m really sorry we let you down. You should have had your machine far sooner. I apologize.

I want thank you for taking the time to come here and share your thoughts. Our failure to deliver has made people frustrated, angry, confused, disappointed, sad, and more. You have every right to share those here, and to hold us accountable however you see fit: through calling us out, cancelling your order, telling your friends about how you were treated, and making future purchases with another supplier.

I’m saying this here because I want you to know my, personal opinion: your upset is valid, and you have every reason to call us out. And again, because I’m sorry.

As to your criticisms that we’re not communicating well, or making the right decisions about shipping order: you may well be right. Every day our team gets called on to make tradeoffs. I know I don’t always get them right. Right now we’re optimizing for a quality product as quickly as possible, and pushing most other priorities to the side to make that happen. That may be the wrong decision, and I know it’s a decision that frustrates people.

Thanks for taking the time to post here. I know it’s not easy. It helps us, and the community, when you are forthright with us. I’m sorry it’s taken so long, and I can’t wait to get you your Pro.

30 Likes

Thank you @dan for responding. I only really have this to add to what I posted originally: Since some of the bumping up of other people in line seems to be based on how much they might be able to help or deal with a less-than-perfect experience, there didn’t seem to be anything between “beta” and “final release” to allow for others to join in. I’m highly technical in my day job (software developer … and I’ve been creating software since I was 8 years old, and you may use some devices, applications or features of a particular operating system that I’ve worked on), deal with technical challenges with various other equipment loosely related to GlowForge while working on projects for my small business (e.g., assembling and troubleshooting CNC routers and 3D printers) and could deal with challenges that might arise with a GlowForge. I didn’t even apply for the beta since my schedule at the time wasn’t going to allow me to put in as much time as was needed/requested. Now that final units are shipping, if folks who are willing to deal with bumps in the road with hardware and software are preferred, perhaps it would have been good to have a survey to find out who could/would deal with those things vs. who just wanted a final as-perfect-as-possible experience. Instead it sort of seems like everything is being treated as black and white – either you know the right people or were lucky to be chosen for the beta so you’ll get your final unit ‘early’, or you’re in the ‘everyone else’ category who is perhaps assumed to only be capable of or interested in dealing with a virtually flawless product. There’s a gray area in there.

2 Likes

Ironically “knowing the right people” gets you the opposite effect. We pushed employees and paid partners back on the delivery list, even as we pulled people forward who helped with the development of the product for free. We didn’t feel good about getting our machines when so many customers didn’t have theirs. The numbers were roughly the same, in fact - I think around ~100 were accelerated and 100 were demoted. The net impact on the line is close to zero.

14 Likes

Ha…go to work for Glowforge never get the unit you ordered… The cobblers kids have no shoes :joy:

10 Likes

yeah but you get laser Thursdays and testing time.

2 Likes

It’s true, and our staff can check out machines over the weekend (although transporting them back and forth can be an adventure). But it lets us put literal miles on the machines and packaging.

Also, employees get unlimited Proofgrade materials for personal projects. So it’s not all bad. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

so quick route to getting hired would be to send in a selfie with a sign around my neck saying “will work for proofgrade” ?

17 Likes

You can’t do that…that was my idea. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

I didn’t order until the last week (or second to last week, maybe?) of the preorder thinger. I’m pretty sure the parts that will make my eventual glowforge aren’t even made yet. So, I know this whole thing is probably much, much more frustrating for people who are closer to the front of the line.

That said, if it makes anyone feel better*, those of us waiting can console ourselves that everyone right now are getting the first pancakes. And the first pancakes are always the ones you give to your dad. Or the dog. Or just throw away. They’re sort of lumpy, and a little undercooked, and they stuck to the pan weird.

Glowforge will work out all those kinks, hopefully, and then we will get ours. Perfectly cooked.

*I also hope this doesn’t make anyone feel worse. But I’m just going to assume those first-in-line people can console themselves with their glowforges…

14 Likes

OK so Jules gets have your proofgrade. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, if we’re a customer and have already taken delivery, if we apply for a position at GF, do we have to give up our machine if we get the job? :smiley:

10 Likes

Is the Dan from Washington state that ordered a basic at 5:55 on day one the @dan?

Are all the others from Washington that seem to have been skipped over actually incognito GF employees?

2 Likes

Yes, I added myself to the spreadsheet… I was order #1 but have not yet received my forever Glowforge. I’ll have to talk to someone about that.

31 Likes

I will put in a good word for you if you like. :grin:

8 Likes

Thank you for replying and sharing your thoughts and especially for apologizing! I know you guys are doing what you can and what you see fit, and myself and others may not like it, but I am still standing by you guys and am stilling waiting for my GF. I would never cancel… I have big plans for it.

That being said, and please don’t hate me for posting this here, but I just came across this and would love to hear your thoughts on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880456201/cubiio-the-most-compact-laser-engraver/description

1 Like

I wasn’t sure whether the spreadsheet was helpful to Glowforge or not. I could see it as a potential source of aggravation, but if you’ve added yourself to it, I guess that means it’s OK…

Off to add my info…

Here’s a thread dedicated to the Cubiio…

1 Like