Natural edged cutting boards

I have made to some popularity natural edged cutting boards sources from the scrap bins of local saw mills of maple and cherry. I used the camera and did a set of boards first for my wife then for other family members who wanted them. Takes a few hours to take slice of stick with bark on it and plane and sand to a cutting board, then I burn, usually 2 passes with settings just made up on the fly by gaging the first part of the cut. But 850/60 seems to work fine at 270 and double passes for both woods. I don’t mask, but then hit with 220 sandpaper, then put the “good stuff” Amazon.com on and wipe off the excess one or two more coats with 320 sandpaper between and these things are good to go. They use the blank side for chopping. Re coat with the good stuff as needed. We have a board in use now for a couple of years. Work great as serving platters too. I make them for about $10.00 in supplies, they sell (only when I what to) for a LOT more.

33 Likes

Clever engraving the recipe on the board. It helps to really personalize it.

3 Likes

Huh I didn’t know that polyurethane was food safe.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s not…?

1 Like

It should be once fully cured.

4 Likes

Well that “good stuff” says it’s food safe and the ingredients are polyurethane and such.

3 Likes

Well apparently it is when fully cured lol. Good to know. I’ll stick with mineral oil and beeswax though

1 Like

That board is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Great looking project! I know a place that sells all kinds a cut-off and reclaimed wood. I think I’ll have to pay a visit.

Ha! I didn’t expect it to be literally the good stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is not a Polyurethane product, it does have some hardening chemicals in it, but “The Good Stuff” is designed for cutting boards. Holds up well!

2 Likes

You sure?

The Q&A on amazon says:

Straight from the label. Oil modified polyurethane resin, mineral spirits, pseudocumene, xylene, manganese, cobalt .25%, MEK, ethylbenzene, mesitylene.

Are they not looking at the same product you are?

1 Like

Also:
“Emmet’s Elixir Wood Conditioner is an aftermarket product. It is the only cutting board conditioner certified by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF®), making it approved for use in commercial foodservice operations.”

2 Likes

Interesting might look into that too. Same company as “The Good Stuff” as you probably noticed from the witty naming, the good stuff, elixir, etc.

I looked into it a bit. Looks like they want you to do the initial finish in the good stuff, then because it has rosemary extract in it, the Elixir also disinfects for subsequent uses. Which is why the “sanitation foundation” likes it.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

Gosh, that is some lovely wood; I really like the edges.

1 Like

They start with bark still on, then after sanding for often a couple of hours the natural edge is preserved. There is actually a fair amount of work in the wood itself.

2 Likes

These are really beautiful.

Years ago I did a part-time job handling the books for a woodworker /furniture maker who was born and trained in Denmark. Wish I had spent more time discussing wood. He turned out amazing art. Wood finished like this just makes me want to touch it.

2 Likes

Once I got the handle on how to do it. I spend the time and effort. These cutting boards take 3-5 hours of sanding and then after the first coats go on, I us very fine paper and it indeed is very pleasant to the touch. In fact I made the cherry one and my wife adopted it to, mostly because it felt so good.