Need help getting enthusiasm back!

Hey all, it’s been a while!

A bit of back story:
When Glowforge launched it’s crowd funding back in 2016, I was so excited… I talked about it so much a friend of mine decided to back GF for me as a wedding present. Since everything is in his name, he decided to wait for the filters and have everything delivered at the same time. We all know of the design problems with the original air filter concept. Anyway, because of the long wait it’s been hard to keep the enthusiasm and get projects ready to make without a GF to make things on.

I’ve just gotten word that the GF has finally been delivered, not I just need to go and pick it up, then I can start creating. However I have no idea where to start any more and would love suggestions!

TLDR: lost enthusiasm after waiting too long, and need help getting it back with suggestions now that the GF has been delivered.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

1 Like

Just scroll through the forum here-take a look at Made on a Glowforge where there are TONS of great examples of projects! Then mosey over to Free Laser Designs and try some! Have fun!!

8 Likes

You can take advantage of he best of the forum by using some of the advanced search functions. Searching made on a Glowforge and ordering by number of likes gets you a pretty good look at a “best of” list.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%23glowforge-project-examples%20order%3Alikes

And beyond that since you’re just spinning up, you’re going to have a lot of questions. I’d say reading through this will help you get a head start on “things I didn’t know I needed to know”.

It’s amazing how many things you can do with it. Keep a notebook of all your ideas as you go, they’re going to come in a huge wave at first.

8 Likes

Go to the Glowforge Gallery tab at the top of this page.

7 Likes

This:

So often overlooked.

7 Likes

there’s also the #glowforge tag on instagram.

7 Likes

Take a stroll down the aisles of Hobby Lobby or Michaels… then think of the money you can save or even make by doing it yourself and doing a better job of it.

4 Likes

Welcome back @ray716! Your face looks very familiar…I think I remember you. Everyone has already made some good suggestions for where to look for ideas and inspiration, so I’ll leave it at that. Looking forward to seeing your first projects. It will come to you in due time.

4 Likes

Another Jewelry designer! There are a few of us here. And watchmaker too? There are several examples of folk making clocks that the Glowforge accuracy is a real boon. Would love to see some of that jewelry.

4 Likes

This is important! It’s SO easy to forget great ideas.

I’m envious, I’d love to experience my GF for the first time again…

3 Likes

Holy cow, @ray716. Great to hear from you again. Your excitement and initial enthusiasm was so inspiring way back when. Wow. Just know that we are all here to assist in any way!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.