Need information about granite

First let say I’m sure this may have been answered once before but, as the project I need to complete is time sensitive (at least to my family) I was wondering if any one has a good setting for grey and white granite? So those who maybe wondering why it is time sensitive we recently had to put the family cat of 18yrs to sleep and we want to create a nice marker for where we laid him to rest. So any assistance in finding a good set of settings would be appreciated. Thank you

3 Likes

for photos try

https://community.glowforge.com/t/engraving-black-granite-tile/8586

For text I do 30pews/900 zooms on black granite. If you’re doing an image you’l want to go over it with ink and wipe to increase the contrast.

6 Likes

So sorry about your kitty. :crying_cat_face:

Travertine is pretty durable, but you can incise it with the laser. Takes like 10 passes.
(this is a place setting marker/coaster, not a headstone :grin:)

18 Likes

Thank you he was a very good tempered old man (88 in cat years) he didn’t deserve the health issues that caused him such discomfort. He shall be missed and remembered fondly.

5 Likes

Sorry Susan, lol.

1 Like

How deep is that would you say?

Somewhere in the general neighborhood of 0.031 :grin:
Be advised, I discovered the dust/ash whatever tends to almost fuse in the engrave, and needs to be scratched out with a tool to clean it afterwards. Works out to almost exactly 1/32"

5 Likes

I do a couple passes to get some depth to it. I do full power and full speed with 340 lpi for the resolution I would like. I have a basic.

5 Likes

It was 340, on a basic, but 500.
Looking forward to meeting you in … March? (schedule allowing)

4 Likes

Is @marmak3261 coming out here?!

3 Likes

That was my understanding… Hoping so!

2 Likes

Yep. Somewhere from February 26-March 12 is vacation. Not sure if on front end or back end. Will figure this out and see if I can meet up. I’ll be heading west from CO after I arrive.

3 Likes

Well, brilliant! I’d like to be among the Colorado GFUG welcoming party. Please keep us informed!

4 Likes

Yes, please.
On a side note, my Wife is a stellar farmhouse cook (that’s how she would describe herself, but the reality goes beyond that by a good measure).

3 Likes

3 passes for my travertine coaster projects. Did you just start with 10 or did you have to work your way up to that many?

I reloaded the passes 3 at a time, inspecting the results but not moving the work. Just an exercise to see how deep I could go.

Oh. Sounds good. I got good depth on 3 passes. I mask first because I follow up with either RIT fabric dye dabbed into the engrave or acrylic paints so I can get different colors & effects.

6 Likes

Those look a lot cleaner than the tumbled travertine tiles I used.

These are from Home Depot. They’re 4x4 tiles that come 10 to a box for about $6 [EDIT: $3.59 today the 25th - they charged me for the tumbled version vs the honed ones].

The RIT dye I dab in before I peel the masking off. If I’m not going to stain the letters I don’t bother to mask.

If I use RIT fabric die I spray the tile with a couple of coats of Spar Urethane to waterproof it (since it’s a fabric dye I figure it might run if soaked). For acrylic paint I don’t bother with the overcoat because that should be waterproof.

2 Likes