Need information about granite

Oh, me too! (I’ve gotta keep on on the fora, almost missed this!)

3 Likes

Are they rough on the backside? My HD only has the rough ones, though on the back most are smoother.

1 Like

Yeah, sort of - in that it’s not a completely smooth surface on the back - there are some voids but I usually sort through them to make up good boxes :slight_smile:

Here’s the ones I get:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-International-Ivory-4-in-x-4-in-Honed-Travertine-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-1-sq-ft-case-THDW1-T-IVO-4x4/100664294

They also have a tumbled version that’s rough on the top and distressed edges.

My HD was selling them both for the same price so when I was there tonight I picked up another few boxes. They’re handy to have around (like slate coasters) so I can whip up some take-homes when someone comes over and wants to play.

1 Like

I have 1200 square feet of these tiles over the concrete patios and walkways in my back yard. I just wish I had the GF to engrave some of them before we laid them down 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ones I used were tumbled. I didn’t open the shrink-wrap packages, and there were a few tiles in the pack that looked like a sponge.
I liked the distressed look of the tumbled that added to the ‘ancient’ look I was after. I think the honed ones have a better fill and finish to them.
Thanks for the link!

Thank you for the links.

Quick question: When you etch into your tile, is the spark quite large and bright (where the laser hits the material)? I was not sure if I was at risk of damaging the lens or something.

Nope. The acrylic flame or slate spark is a lot brighter.

They’re just really cool to do (lots of different tiles at HD that are good in fact). It amazes people that you can laser stone. And the price can’t be beat.

1 Like

I’m surprised. I need to post a small video. When I did it yesterday it kind of scared me it was so bright and sparky. Mine was the tumbled kind…sandy in the cut.

Thank you to everyone who posted something to assist me with this project here is a picture of the final product.image000000one of the last pictures of him before he stared having alot of issues

17 Likes

Thanks for posting.

I assume that is granite. Did you find the settings to be similar to the settings for Travertine, etc.?

It turned out nice.

I tried w/ the original 30 power, 900 speed, and 340 resolution settings found after 6 passes miner progress was made, So I adjusted from there to 50 power, 500 speed, and 340 resolution w/ 3 passes and that finally got it deep enough to ink/paint real well.

5 Likes

Thank you for the update.

What a beautiful tribute to your lost friend! You did a great job on this!

what settings did you end up using on your stone that you did for your kitty?
I just lost my puppy and I want to do something like this for her. I just don’t know what to door the settings. Did you mask? thank you for your help

I did mask if I remember correctly I listed the settings in that feed once I finished engraving I inked the stone then peeled the mask. If the settings are not in the post I’ll see if I can locate them again.

thank you I could not find the settings.

If you’re doing this on granite I believe I ran my GF-P at 200 speed, full power and 3 passes. If the 3 passes are not deep enough run another 3. That being said it won’t be very deep to begin with so have a can of krylon on hand to ink it. It’s been 3 yrs since that little fur ball passed so i might be slightly off on the speed. Good luck and happy lasering. How I got my granite I stopped at one of our sellers here ask if I could buy a piece of there scrap to make a stone for our pet they just gave it to me free I then cut it down with my tile saw.