Need Suggestions: What to do with neodymium magnets? (and other hard drive parts)

:heart:

ever since i moved here my rule has been one book leaves for every book that comes in, barring cookbooks, since they don’t take up too much room. that all changes once the bookshelves go into the loft, haha.

6 Likes

I’ve already got a regular home built forge. This is actually something I’ve wanted to build for a while. Maybe this is my excuse

3 Likes

I’ve had an active Audible subscription for like 6 months and have made it through at least 15 24+ hour books.

The lamp idea is great though! I could see myself building something similar but with a little block you move to turn it on and off instead

3 Likes

Right you are. Got the consumables needed for my plasma torch to do a replacement Bat’leth for the one I gave my Son. The steel and torch sit there gathering dust.

Edit; BTW, I would like to express my appreciation for the excellent tutorial on 3D engraving you did! Having fun exploring that realm!

2 Likes

Hahaha I know how that goes. My welder and plasma cutter (hand held) have sat dormant for years while I build a composite car.

Thanks! Judging by the latest update, looks like it’s going to be pretty cool! Cant wait to push the limits and see if I can use it to produce masters for lost wast casting gold and silver pendants.

1 Like

Cool idea! I was looking at a 3D printer that touted a filament designed for burn-out when I stumbled onto glowforge.
A highly detailed print that would free me from wax carving was very appealing!

I have successfully burned out organic materials, probably the toughest was a mini pine cone. It came out good, just took an extended soak at 1200°F before ramping down to casting temp. No Trace of ash in the cast.
I’ll bet you will be able to do it! With a blade measured in thousandths super fine detail should be possible!

Man, gold these days is too expensive for my taste, too bad because I loved working that metal. Sterling has such an affinity for oxygen that made it a little touchy to melt as opposed to gold - besides, everything looked better in gold. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

My dad is the jeweler and I just send him the odd prototype/master/model here and there. So whether he makes gold or silver is up to him but yes, lately it is more silver because he just won’t inventory gold in order to minimize his losses from inventory suddenly dropping in value.

I have the casting/burn-out resin that FSL sells for use with their Pegasus SLA 3D printer because it does hold finer details, but when it comes to burning out, my dad will literally burn anything you throw at him. We have not tried acrylic (will be on the list once the GF arrives).

I had sent him a model I cast in polyurethane resin, which was probably the first time we tried a material not designed for the process, he had no issues with residue or ash.

The “secret” is that his standard operating procedure even with traditional jeweler’s materials, is a long, overnight burn which nothing can stand up to. He had enough issues with inconsistency in the traditional materials, or different materials with varying requirements that dont jive well with each other, that he decided to go for the “Sledge-O-Matic” approach. It works every time without question or frustration.

5 Likes

Man, I never had the patience for that! Only once did I push it too fast and flashed the remaining moisture in the flask to steam.
A muffled ‘thump’ and white powder shot out of every crack in the kiln. :hushed:
Your Dad is pro.

3 Likes

He takes a bit of a risk running it overnight but he’s working in a concrete basement at his own house so he’s always present. Other jewelers he knows that complain about ash are limited to business hours only in commercial locations.

2 Likes

One of the things I was wondering about was could I use my hard drive magnets on the GF. Well you can. The grid (crumb tray) allows the magnet to stick firmly but not so firmly that you can’t get it off easily. I left the metal plate on the back of the magnet so I could grab hold of it. It is still low enough as to not interfere with the head of air assist. Just make sure you use the ones that have the flat plate not the ones with the bent down tabs. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Your magnets may be way too strong for this use, but here’s what I do with my magnets.

I buy these little tins, put a magnet in the bottom of each one and then label the tops. It keeps our spices organized and where I can see them all the time. Our cooking dramatically improved when I put this system into use. You can buy sets just like this for $6+ per can, and mine cost about $1.10 each.

12 Likes

i did this in our condo! when we moved here i stole a drawer :smiley:

Neat part will be that when your GF :glowforge: arrives, you will be able to laser the labels (and image of the herb plant on the lids).

I wouldn’t be able to label the current lids–their windows are plastic. I could make a little acrylic disc that fits over the lid. That would work,vxhcd ¥u g hi .REC A 56I73

(Baby Isaac says hi to everyone.)

9 Likes

Love it!!

Well, PG :proofgrade: acrylic will come in handy!

2 Likes

First item to make with GF: Keyboard Guard…

2 Likes

Thats a great idea!
One thing I notice with the ones you can buy in the store the magnets arent nearly as strong. Maybe these magnets are my solution!

How are the magnets sticking to the stainless steel? :grin:

2 Likes

Story goes that when they first started using stainless for residential units, people complained about magnets not working, so now it’s a stainless veneer over steel. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have LG stainless appliances and regular ceramic magnets don’t stick to the fronts. They do stick to the sides though. I’m going to see tonight if the neodymium magnets stick (in the event there’s some kind of cladding that is too thick for ceramic magnets to work).