New duds for the fur gang

We’ll be driving across country in a couple of weeks (whenever I finish stuffing things into boxes), and it dawned on me that our 2 cats don’t have collars. Well, they DO, several apiece actually, I just don’t know where they are, because the darned cats take them off and hide them in the woods.

Anyway, today I took a break from packing and made harnesses for the whole gang.

I couldn’t get a non-blurry photo of Pixel in his – he’s an orange tabby (in case you can’t tell from the portrait of him on the front). :wink:

Axel’s was easy to capture in a photo, because when I put it on him he became convinced that he was paralyzed, toppled sideways off his cat tree, and has been lying the the hallway ever since.

Smidgen also got a new one, since his first one was really just a test (a successful one, too – one full month, and not a single tooth mark on it! Yay!!!)

River got one too, but she’s 3.5 lbs of full on energy right now and I’ve given up on getting a photo tonight. It’s just like her first one (scroll down in this post to see it), with the Serenity logo on the front, except in gray and made of thick leather this time, since the medium leather had just about worn out already.

38 Likes

Nice engravings! Cats are funny in their reactions to harnesses- how long was Axel “paralyzed”? Until the harness was removed? :laughing:

2 Likes

Love them… Is that proofgrade leather? If not what settings did you put them on?

1 Like

Wow, your leather tinting skills are awesome!

3 Likes

LOVE LOVE LOVE

My fatboy kitteh needs one of these! (He needs a fedora too, since his name is Henry Jones, Jr.)

4 Likes

Your new line of pet harnesses! Duds for Dogs. Has a ring to it. I love the harnesses…and I also really love your description of how Axel fell ‘paralyzed’ to the floor.

3 Likes

He’s back up on his cat tree this morning, so he can move if he wants to, but he’s just sort of sitting there staring at the wall. He’s definitely NOT pleased. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: His fellow feline Pixel is just fine, however, so I’m convinced it’s not a design issue. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

It’s proofgrade thick leather. I used the draft settings for engraving / scoring, so it wouldn’t cut in as deeply. River’s first harness was cut from medium leather because she’s so tiny, and after a month was already pulling apart at the places where it was scored / engraved. I don’t think it would be as much of a problem with the thick leather, but figured I’d err on the side of them lasting as long as possible!

Thanks

1 Like

It’s so easy! I just engraved some images I bought from Etsy, and then painted the non-engraved portions with acrylics. Once they’re dry I apply a couple of coats of neutral shoe polish to protect it. The Serenity logo on River’s first harness has held up really well; we’ll see if these do as well!

EDIT: For completeness: The gray harnesses were painted with vinegar that had steel wool dissolved in it. The brown one is just the raw leather with a couple coats of brown Kiwi shoe polish. (I coated the tiger head with neutral first, to keep it from being stained by the brown.)

2 Likes

I love those!!! I need to make one for my fur baby but I will need a lot more leather! He’s a 205lb Great Dane. LOL

Ha! Yeah, I made some for my roomie’s two Akbash/mini dachshund pups, but told her she’s on her own for the great Pyrenees!

3 Likes

LOL I don’t blame you!

2 Likes

Can you hook them up to a sled.

2 Likes

It would have to be a very small sled…both my dogs together weigh less than one cat!

I caught River in a calm moment, finally. ‘Scuse the unmade bed—gotta take ‘em where you can get ‘em!

4 Likes

Looks like my bed. Cute dog too. :blush:

1 Like

I’m thinking this is going to be helpful information :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They’re adorable!

1 Like

What cute fur babies!

1 Like