New maker toy

I second the FA-400. This is how I typically have things set up when I’m soldering. Note the dryer vent, which is where the Glowforge will exhaust to. I originally tried to duct that down to the work area and use an inline fan to remove the solder fumes, but it was unwieldy and ineffective compared to just getting the smoke absorber.

It’s the small things that make me really happy when I do the research and find the right one. I struggled for a long time with mediocre tools. Nowadays I will gladly spend $30 on a pair of side cutters that are literally a joy to use. I love when some basic thing like solder has a product with a near cult following and hundreds of 5 star reviews. I don’t know how I survived without a big spool of Kester 44 and a reel to keep it on. My current obsession is tweezers. Having a couple of really good ones on the shelf there is nearly life changing, but I haven’t yet found any to wax poetic about.

14 Likes

Holy buckets! I was going to purchase these side cutters…much cheaper (and I thought Klein was a good brand), but I’m in general agreement that the right tools make a difference!

2 Likes

What’s the loc-line in your picture for? You turn the nozzles into part holders or something?

This is quite a bit smaller than I had envisioned! Now I’m fantasizing about a Nomad 883…

Seriously fond of that microscope!

1 Like

I already have a huge one, this is perfect for little jobs with detail, and I can bring this to class or lectures to demonstrate CNC machining, etc. and it’s relatively inexpensive

2 Likes

That’s one of these things: https://www.adafruit.com/products/3019

It’s pretty meh, actually. Sometimes comes in handy to hold a part in place but I fight those tentacles more often than I use them.

5 Likes

I picked up a pair of flush/side cutters close to the ones you linked to - they seem to be really good. Thanks!

I got these ones…

9 Likes

Flush cutters are great! I have 2 pair one side and one end I used in jewelry, they aren’t cheap.

2 Likes

super necessary for 3D printing to get square ended filament, cutting off support, wiring

3 Likes

Nice to have a square end instead of it just being pinched off!

So assembly is complete… Looks nice (modified the E-Stop button to be a red mushroom button (well a miniature red mushroom button :grinning:). I decided (based on my X-Carve build) that all exposed wires would be in sleeving (no idea why I chose red with white end-caps, other that it was on the top of my sleeving box…?). Now if I had a GlowForge (ahem) I could cut a small plug plate for the fan hole at the back (for use with the laser head I assume), although I guess I could get real fancy and 3D print a fitting for the X-Carve’s cyclonic dust collector?

20 Likes

Is there anything to stop metal chips shorting out the PCB connections?

3 Likes

There was a discussion of that on the KS page, and people have been using silicone caulk I guess? In reality there are only a few connections you have to worry about chips hitting (I mean sure they technically could fly around and short out things on the spindle board, but I guess they don’t in reality) so it’s the Z-home button on the table and the connections for that on the base, and a couple of others from what I understand.

I find it amazing where chips end up when I am milling. Where they go seems to be like a normal distribution, so most go where you expect but very occasionally I get outliers, so eventually they end up everywhere if I mill for long enough, and this is with vacuum extraction that gets most of them.

2 Likes

I just finished the 3D printed “british” dust boot for my X-Carve…

What is a “british” dust boot?

I am British and I designed my own 3D printed boot, does that count?

A few aluminium chips come off with enough energy to escape the bristles and after 3 years of almost daily use the bristles are nearly worn away, so a few more get past now!

5 Likes

New brit workshop dust boot? Im planning on making a modified version of the marius hornberger dust shoe:

5 Likes

See @takitus’ post below yours. It’s almost a meme on the Inventables site . What CNC do you have? Looks beefy…

1 Like

It is one of these: http://www.worldofcnc.com/collections/cnc-router-packages/products/3-axis-a2-ballscrew-assembled-cnc-router-package.

I bought just the mechanical only kit with motors for about £2K and added my own limit switches, wiring and electronics. I run it with LinuxCNC and used it mainly to mill DiBond frames for Mendel90 kits.

Now I am starting to use it for things I was planning to do with Glowforge.