Not sure how to do this

I have ten (hollow) pieces of .6" diameter wood that I want to cut. I know I need to remove the crumb tray and I need to make a cardboard jig. Usually when doing something like this on smaller pieces (less than .5") I lay a piece of cardboard down, cut the slots, place the items to be cut and everything works fine. How do I do it when the cardboard for the jig is like .13" but the item to be cut is .6"?

Make yourself a wide box with a height of 0.88" (or 0.5" shorter than your crumb tray), and set that aside. Make a pair of boxes that are exact crumb tray height.

remove tray.

Lay them side by side in the GF. Secure them with tape or magnets.

Tape cardboard to the outer two boxes. Cut your jig as if the vardboard is on the crumb tray, as it will be the exact height of the tray since it’s on the two tray height boxes you make.

Place your items on the center larger box. Set the height to be 0.6-0.5, since the box is 0.5 lower than the tray. Secure the items how you want to. I use blue tack, but double sided tape might work or whatever.

Engrave away.

I used this method on my rat skull engraving, and have the boxes hanging around. I’ll get you a pic.

3 Likes

Like that :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Rat skull:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try that.

1 Like

Alas. Poor Yorick , I knew him well.

3 Likes

You know that’s a 3 Stooges quote and not Shakespeare, right? :grinning:

Who was Yorick Hamlet?
Origin of Alas Poor Yorick. In act 5, scene I of Hamlet, Hamlet is talking to a grave digger. The gravedigger picks up a skull and says it has been there for 23 years. Hamlet asks to whom it belonged, and the gravedigger says it belonged to Yorick, the court jester and childhood friend of Hamlet’s.

1 Like

I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. But I never knew him that well truth be told…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.