Ok i'm in love

2.5" diameter disc on pre-peeled PG medium draftboard, no cleanup. the design started as a 7000x7000 raster sketch in sketchbook pro, which i vectorized using image trace in illustrator. at that resolution, only a few minor touchups to the vectors were needed. i ran two engrave passes at HD graphic settings, which took about an hour to burn. i’m kind of blown away by the 3-dimensional effect achieved with the two passes on the little tendrils, they are smoothly flowing into the background of the piece – totally unexpected! i wonder if that would occur on a tougher material like acrylic, or if this is due to the draftboard particles disintegrating in areas adjacent to where the laser is striking. in any case – wow :slight_smile:

43 Likes

That is stunning

2 Likes

thank you!

It’s pretty cool doing first prints / engraves. I remember saying WOW many many times!

Really cool design - love it!

4 Likes

Really turned out great! I like the pattern a lot.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s cool. I think it’s look good on most any material, the big thing with draftboard is that it’s dirty, lots of draftboard engraves will foul up your fan and filter (if any) more quickly.

Try it out and report back, I bet it’ll look great.

3 Likes

appreciate the tip! i will definitely try this bigger and on nicer material.

Nice. I hope this feeling of affection for your creative tool continues to grow. You made something magical.

5 Likes

That amazing looking and on draftboard no less! Great work!

2 Likes

Love that design, it certainly has a Celtic vibe.

2 Likes

This type of engrave is always impressive. Love the swirls.

1 Like

Looks like an ancient seabed fossil…

2 Likes

hm… ancient celtic seabed fossils seems like an idea worth exploring… :thinking:

2 Likes

Holly WOW! That’s good stuff.

thank you mypamplus5, that’s very kind!

1 Like

So cool! You should hit it with some Matt lacquer.

1 Like

Serious WOW! Hit the top surface with a light sanding, and the tendrils will glow like eruptions on the surface of the sun. There are images of the sun using filters that emphasize the magnetic fields; this is what yours looks like.

Also, if you try this in acrylic, look up “defocus” as a topic and you will find lots of good info. The engraving hill-valley effect that’s easily seen in acrylic can be overcome with a little tweaking. Here’s a link for making an engrave tool.

2 Likes

That is beautiful

1 Like

appreciate the tips, thanks so much!

1 Like