One-off positioning jig

Neither the camera nor the blank can move. The file has a border sized to exactly match the maximum working space - if the file moves even a pixel in the GUI, it will read as out of bounds. Finally, I’ll run a bounding box the size of the blank at minimum score power across its masking just to make sure, but don’t anticipate any problems.

8 Likes

Oh! Now I see the logic! Brilliant!

2 Likes

Wow amazing

1 Like

I find that scoring the holes will minimize tear out… might want to test that idea…

3 Likes

I’ll certainly check that out, thanks!

1 Like

Agreed - I’ve scored many a hole for drilling when doing stuff like this.

Nice woven technique too. I made picture frames with that method last year, used a mixture of walnut, paduk, purple heart and maple. They turned out good, although I wish I’d have made the curved cuts a little less drastic. I’m making a few more and I’m going for a flowing water look. Nothing to use the laser on, but all good fun never the less.

Post a pic once done - beautiful work thus far!

2 Likes

here is where it came in very handy… this is made from the Teak deck of the Battleship NJ. it has been in the weather for 75 years. after I remove the rot from the inch and 3/4 boards there is gold underneath. But scoring the holes was necessary to avoid tear out.
https://oldpostwood.wixsite.com/website/custom-goods.

4 Likes

That teak is gorgeous!

I was on the IKE in 1983 when this photo was taken. It was really special to sail alongside naval history.

10 Likes

That’s a Beauty

Daaaaamn - that’s gorgeous, and more than I think any other project I can totally understand your stress about not mucking up the positioning!!
:heart:

4 Likes