Outdoor sign will it last? Wood or plywood?

I clicked the second of the two links posted above. You clicked the first. Problem solved. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem here. I knew your blanket assessment was wrong from the start. Have a nice evening.

1 Like

if you donā€™t care what material you use a green treat is very qualified to use anywhere outside. i used green treat on a family sign i had up for 2o plus years and decided since i have a glowforge im redigning the letters and numbers on it. so far all i did was use a good quality outside sealer which there are loads of them in all the stores. Just be careful which one your buy and always read and test. hopes this helps cause i believe in treated lumber and it engraves very well on the glowforge. Give it a try and you may start changing stuff around to treated.

1 Like

also but i didnā€™t say this in my last post but arcadia wood is very well suited for outside use. it is water and bug proof with tightgrain and less knots as most wood has. i buy in bulk so ican use it just about anywhere i need something solid and stready. it comes in dark which is the heart wood and the outer rings which is lighter and easier to work with.

1 Like

This is the sign in question.
Itā€™s all made of maple hardwood but since itā€™s two layers Iā€™m nervous about sanding between coats. If I get the same product in the spray, can I avoid sanding? Would you apply it before or after gluing the second layer on?
Thanks for the help

5 Likes

Hereā€™s some pics. One of the leaners and some of the ā€œinterchangeablesā€ that replace the ā€œOā€ in welcome. The Oā€™s and interchangeables attach with magnets. I have different interchangeables for each season. I make the leaners in both 4ft and 6ft, and stain the boards browns or black. I did one in Tennessee orange, thinking it would sell well around here - it hasnā€™t. Oh well!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never sanded between coats. My customers donā€™t seem to mind it as they say it shows them itā€™s handmade and not store-bought. That and Iā€™m lazy. :grinning: I would just spray it after you get the top layer on so it covers everything. And thatā€™s a very nice looking sign! Good job!

4 Likes

Hello ā€” I am absolutely humbled you are asking me for advice.

Absolutely no sanding on this sign!!! I would make the sign and use a high-quality wood glue to attach the second layer. Then I would get an outdoor spray polyurethane.

I would spray 4 coats. Spray poly from 12 inches away sweeping back and forth. Let first coat dry. When you do the second coat I would turn the sign upside down. You want the poly to hit all of the edges of the letters and paws. Keep doing the same technique until four layers are finished.

2 Likes

This is something Iā€™ve been working to come up with some different solutions for also.

My next plan is to try this: Crystalac Crab Coat. It protects from the sun, too (has UV stabilizers)

4 Likes

Those are wonderful! They should get their own thread if you havenā€™t done that already.

3 Likes

No, I havenā€™t made a thread for them. Never thought about it.

1 Like

Please do!

I think we all forget just how cool some of the stuff we make is, and a lot of it can inspire other people too.

2 Likes

Or white oak. Or seal it in epoxy.

1 Like

Ok. Would it go under MOAGF?

1 Like

Yes! That is definitely the best place to share your projects.

Looking forward to seeing your share :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what i see you have a roof protecting the main sign. Depending on where your at in the country if sea shore or coast or plains iā€™ve used different finishes for different wood. Your using Maple which is a good choice and with a roof on it and proper care it should last a few years if using a good outside sealer. If even if you seal it is i possible to put glass on both sides of sign and caulk the seal and then the only thing that would be bad for it would be the uv rays from the sun. It might be more work in to it but it will last a lot longer then just throwing a sealer on it and hope it lasts. thats my idea on it you can do whatever you think is best in you location.

3 Likes